California State Assembly District 15
|California State Assembly District 15|
|Current incumbent||Nancy Skinner|
|Ethnicity||5.1% Black, 15.9% Hispanic|
|Voting age||72.8% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 591,194 civilians reside within California's fifteenth state assembly district. California state senators represent an average of 465,674 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 420,000 residents.
About the office
According to Article IV of the California Constitution, the candidate must be a United States Citizen, a resident of California for three years, a resident of the legislative district for one year and a registered voter in that district by the time nomination papers are filed.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the California legislature are paid $95,291 per year. They are also given per diem of $141.86 per day in session.
- See also: State legislatures with term limits
Since the passage of Prop 28 in 2012, legislators first elected on or after November 6, 2012 are limited to a maximum of 12 years. Prop 140, passed in 1990, effects any members elected prior to November 6, 2012 and limits them to a maximum of two four-year terms (eight years).
If there is a vacancy in the assembly, the Governor must call for a special election. The election must be called by the Governor within fourteen days of the vacancy. No special election can be held if the vacancy happened in an election year and the nominating deadline passed.
Elections for the office of California State Assembly will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Elizabeth Echols (D) and Tony Thurmond (D) defeated Clarence Hunt (D), Sam Kang (D), Pamela Price (D), Rich Kinney (R), Eugene E. Ruyle (Peace & Freedom) and Bernt Rainer Wahl (I) in the blanket primary. Echols will face Thurmond in the general election.
Elections for the office of California State Assembly consisted of a primary election on June 5, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 9, 2012. Incumbent Nancy Skinner (D) and Peace and Freedom Party candidate Eugene Ruyle advanced past the June 5 blanket primary unopposed before Skinner defeated Ruyle in the general election. 
|California State Assembly, District 15, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Nancy Skinner Incumbent||86.8%||164,929|
|Peace and Freedom Party||Eugene Ruyle||13.2%||25,167|
Since 2000, candidates for California State Assembly District 15 have raised a total of $17,934,447. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $943,918 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, California State Assembly District 15|
- California State Legislature
- California State Senate
- California State Assembly
- California state legislative districts
- Public Mapping Project, “California 2010 Census Statistics,” November 7, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- California State Constitution, accessed December 16, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "Qualifications for State Legislature," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Justia "California Code," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute, 1773-California Government Code)
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2014 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 27, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed July 15, 2014
- " California Secretary of State, "2012 General Election," November 7, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "2012 General Primary,” November 7, 2013