California State Senate District 16
|California State Senate District 16|
|Current incumbent||Andy Vidak|
|Ethnicity||6.9% Black, 66.2% Hispanic|
|Voting age||66.9% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 976,489 civilians reside within California's sixteenth state senate district. California state senators represent an average of 931,349 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 846,791 residents.
About the office
Members serve four-year terms with term limits. The terms of the Senators are staggered so that half the membership is elected every two years. The senators representing odd-numbered districts are elected in years evenly divisible by four. The senators from even-numbered districts are elected in the intervening even-numbered years. California legislators assume office one month after election (December).
According to Article IV of the California Constitution, the candidate must be a United States Citizen, a resident of California for three years, a resident of the legislative district for one year and a registered voter in that district by the time nomination papers are filed.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the California legislature are paid $95,291 per year. They are also given per diem of $141.86 per day in session.
- See also: State legislatures with term limits
Since the passage of Prop 28 in 2012, legislators first elected on or after November 6, 2012 are limited to a maximum of 12 years. Prop 140, passed in 1990, effects any members elected prior to November 6, 2012 and limits them to a maximum of two four-year terms (eight years).
If there is a vacancy in the senate, the Governor must call for a special election. The election must be called by the Governor within fourteen days of the vacancy being created. No special election can be held if the vacancy happened in an election year and the nominating deadline passed.
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of California State Senate will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 3, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Incumbent Jean Fuller (R) was unopposed in the blanket primary and will face write-in candidate Ruth Musser-Lopez (D) in the general election.
Andy Vidak (R) won election in a special election for California State Senate District 16. The seat was vacant following Michael J. Rubio's (D) resignation on February 22, 2013 to accept a job with Chevron. Vidak faced Francisco Ramirez (D), Leticia Perez (D), Paulina Miranda (D) and Mohammad Arif (Peace and Freedom) in the special election which took place on May 21, 2013. As no candidate took more than 50 percent of the vote, the top two vote-getters - Perez and Vidak - met in a runoff election on July 23, which Vidak won.
|California State Senate, District 16, Special Election, 2013|
Since 2000, candidates for California State Senate District 16 have raised a total of $4,953,934. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $495,393 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, California State Senate District 16|
- California State Legislature
- California State Senate
- California State Assembly
- California state legislative districts
- Public Mapping Project, “California 2010 Census Statistics,” November 7, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- California State Constitution, accessed December 16, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "Qualifications for State Legislature," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Justia "California Code," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute, 1773-California Government Code)
- California Secretary of State, "Certified List of Write-in Candidates for the June 3, 2014, Statewide Direct Primary Election," accessed May 24, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2014 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 27, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed July 15, 2014
- KBPS.org, "Special Election Set To Fill State Senate Vacancy," March 8, 2013
- sos.ca.gov, "Senate District 16 Special Primary Election - May 21, 2013," accessed April 8, 2013
- turnto23.com, "Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate district special election," May 22, 2013
- bakersfieldnow.com, "Dramatic turn in special election as Vidak falls below 50 percent of vote," May 24, 2013
- visaliatimesdelta.com, "Perez concedes state Senate election to Vidak," July 25, 2013
- sos.ca.gov, "Official primary election results," accessed November 18, 2013
- sos.ca.gov, "Official special election results," accessed November 18, 2013