California State Senate District 23
|California State Senate District 23|
|Ethnicity||3.9% Black, 22% Hispanic|
|Voting age||79.9% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 899,067 civilians reside within California's twenty-third state senate district. California state senators represent an average of 931,349 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 846,791 residents.
About the office
Members serve four-year terms with term limits. The terms of the Senators are staggered so that half the membership is elected every two years. The senators representing odd-numbered districts are elected in years evenly divisible by four. The senators from even-numbered districts are elected in the intervening even-numbered years. California legislators assume office one month after election (December).
According to Article IV of the California Constitution, the candidate must be a United States Citizen, a resident of California for three years, a resident of the legislative district for one year and a registered voter in that district by the time nomination papers are filed.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the California legislature are paid $95,291 per year. They are also given per diem of $141.86 per day in session.
- See also: State legislatures with term limits
Since the passage of Prop 28 in 2012, legislators first elected on or after November 6, 2012 are limited to a maximum of 12 years. Prop 140, passed in 1990, effects any members elected prior to November 6, 2012 and limits them to a maximum of two four-year terms (eight years).
If there is a vacancy in the senate, the Governor must call for a special election. The election must be called by the Governor within fourteen days of the vacancy being created. No special election can be held if the vacancy happened in an election year and the nominating deadline passed.
A special election for the position of California State Senate District 23 was called for March 25, with a runoff if necessary on June 3. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was January 31.
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2012
Elections for the office of California State Senate consisted of a primary election on June 5, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 9, 2012. Incumbent Bill Emmerson (R) and Melissa Ruth O'Donnell (D) advanced unopposed past the June 5 blanket primary. Emmerson then defeated O'Donnell in the general election. 
|California State Senate, District 23, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Bill Emmerson Incumbent||56.3%||159,045|
|Democratic||Melissa Ruth O'Donnell||43.7%||123,518|
Since 2000, candidates for California State Senate District 23 have raised a total of $5,560,425. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $327,084 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, California State Senate District 23|
- California State Legislature
- California State Senate
- California State Assembly
- California state legislative districts
- Public Mapping Project, “California 2010 Census Statistics,” November 7, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- California State Constitution, accessed December 16, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "Qualifications for State Legislature," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Justia "California Code," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute, 1773-California Government Code)
- California Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed February 5, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official special election results," accessed April 16, 2014
- latimes.com, "Special election for state Senate seat set for March 25," December 5, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "State Senate District 23* - Special Election," accessed December 9, 2013
- " California Secretary of State, "2012 General Election," November 7, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "2012 General Primary,” November 7, 2013