California State Senate District 32
|California State Senate District 32|
|Current incumbent||Tony Mendoza|
|Ethnicity||11.1% Black, 64.6% Hispanic|
|Voting age||68.1% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 6, 2018|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 946,010 civilians reside within California's thirty-second state senate district. California state senators represent an average of 931,349 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 846,791 residents.
About the office
Members serve four-year terms with term limits. The terms of the Senators are staggered so that half the membership is elected every two years. The senators representing odd-numbered districts are elected in years evenly divisible by four. The senators from even-numbered districts are elected in the intervening even-numbered years. California legislators assume office one month after election (December).
According to Article IV of the California Constitution, the candidate must be a United States Citizen, a resident of California for three years, a resident of the legislative district for one year and a registered voter in that district by the time nomination papers are filed.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the California legislature are paid $95,291 per year. They are also given per diem of $141.86 per day in session.
- See also: State legislatures with term limits
Since the passage of Prop 28 in 2012, legislators first elected on or after November 6, 2012 are limited to a maximum of 12 years. Prop 140, passed in 1990, effects any members elected prior to November 6, 2012 and limits them to a maximum of two four-year terms (eight years).
If there is a vacancy in the senate, the Governor must call for a special election. The election must be called by the Governor within fourteen days of the vacancy being created. No special election can be held if the vacancy happened in an election year and the nominating deadline passed.
- See also: California State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of California State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Tony Mendoza (D) and Mario A. Guerra (R) defeated Carlos R. Arvizu (D), Sally Morales Havice (D) and Irella Perez (D) in the blanket primary. Mendoza defeated Guerra in the general election.
|California State Senate, District 32, General Election, 2014|
|Republican||Mario A. Guerra||47.7%||61,718|
Norma Torres (D) won election in a special election for California State Senate District 32. The seat was vacant following Democrat Gloria Negrete McLeod's election to the 35th Congressional District of California on November 6, 2012. Torres faced Paul Vincent Avila (D), Kenny Coble (R), Paul Leon (R), Larry Walker (D) and Joanne Gilbert (D) in the special election on March 12, 2013. Because no candidate received 50 percent of the vote the top two vote-getters - Norma Torres (D) and Paul Leon (R) - met in a runoff election on May 14, which Torres won. 
|California State Senate, District 32, Special Election, 2013|
Since 2000, candidates for California State Senate District 32 have raised a total of $3,997,986. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $444,221 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, California State Senate District 32|
- California State Legislature
- California State Senate
- California State Assembly
- California state legislative districts
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- Public Mapping Project, “California 2010 Census Statistics,” November 7, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2010 of the American states," November 22, 2013
- United States Census 2010, "Population in 2000 of the American states," November 27, 2013
- California State Constitution, accessed December 16, 2013
- California Secretary of State, "Qualifications for State Legislature," accessed December 16, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Justia "California Code," accessed December 16, 2013(Referenced Statute, 1773-California Government Code)
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2014 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 27, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed July 15, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 14, 2014
- KPCC, "Gov. Brown schedules special election for 2 vacant SoCal state Senate seats," January 7, 2013
- Champion Newspapers, "Three declare plans to seek vacated State Senate seat," November 20, 2012
- Daily Bulletin, "Six Inland Empire politicians plunge into special election for seat in state Senate," January 18, 2013
- SCPR.org, "32nd Senate District race heads to a May runoff to represent Pomona, Fontana and Ontario," March 13, 2013
- pe.com, "SENATE ELECTION: Norma Torres beats Paul Leon for Inland seat," May 14, 2013
- sos.ca.gov, "Official primary election results," accessed November 18, 2013
- sos.ca.gov, "Official special election results," accessed November 18, 2013