Elections for the office of California State Senate
will consist of a primary election on June 3, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014
. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014.
- See also: Partisan composition of state senates
Heading into the November 4 election, the Democratic Party holds the majority in the California State Senate:
A candidate shall:
- A. Be at least 30 years of age, a U.S. citizen for nine years, and a resident of California when elected. U.S. Const. Art. I, Â§3
- B. Have a valid voter registration affidavit on file in the county of residence at the time nomination papers are obtained. Â§201
- C. Satisfy the following registration requirements:
- 1. Be registered with the political party whose nomination he or she is seeking for not less than three months immediately prior to the time the declaration of candidacy is presented to the county elections official or, if eligible to register for less than three months, for as long as he or she has been eligible to register to vote in California. Â§8001(a)(1)
- 2. Not have been registered as affiliated with any other qualified political party within twelve months immediately prior to the filing of the declaration of candidacy. Â§8001(a)(2)
List of candidates
Pending once the filing deadline occurs in 2014.