California Superintendent of Public Instruction
|California Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012-2013 FY Budget:||$56,948,972,000|
|Term limits:||2 terms|
|Length of term:||4 years|
|Authority:||California Education Code, Title 2, Division 2, Part 20, Chapter 3, Article 1, Sections 33302/33303|
|Assumed office:||January 3, 2011|
|Next election:||November 4, 2014|
|Last election:||November 2, 2010|
|Other California Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Controller • Superintendent of Public Instruction • Agriculture Secretary • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Secretary • Industrial Relations Director • Public Utilities Commission|
Before becoming superintendent, Torlakson served in the California Assembly from 2008 to 2010 and the state Senate from 2000 to 2008. He was a member of the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors from 1980 to 1996 and served as chair in 1984, 1989 and 1994. Professionally, Torlakson has extensive experience as an educator; he was an adjunct faculty member at Los Medanos College from 2007 to 2010, a teacher at Mount Diablo High School from 1972 to 1981 and a coach at Antioch High School from 1973 to 2003. He also worked at Kosich Insurance Company from 1989 to 2010. Torlakson holds an M.A. in Education, a teaching certificate and a B.A. in History from the University of California at Berkeley
The office of superintendent is established by California statute.
California Education Code, Sections 33302 and 33303
33302. The Department of Education shall be conducted under the control of an executive officer known as the Director of Education.
Like all state elected officials, the superintendent of education must be a registered voter in the state. Additionally, he or she must not have served two terms in office since November 6, 1990, when state office term limits were adopted into the state constitution.
Superintendents are elected every four years during gubernatorial election years (e.g. 2006, 2010, 2014, etc.). Winners take office on the first Monday in January following their election. The office of superintendent is technically non-partisan, so all candidates run without any party affiliation in both primary and general elections.
California Constitution, Article 2, Section 6
(a) All judicial, school, county, and city offices, including the Superintendent of Public Instruction, shall be nonpartisan.
The superintendent of public instruction is the administrative head of the California Department of Education; he or she executes the policies made by the state Board of Education and oversees the operation of the state's public school system. The superintendent provides local and county school boards with blank teachers certificates, oversees all state education employees, organizes adult education programs, evaluates the performance of public schools and manages departmental facilities and resources, among other duties.
- Curriculum, Learning & Accountability
- Finance, Technology & Administration
- Government Affairs & Charter Development
- Legal, Audits & Compliance
- Special Services & Support
The budget for the State Department of Education in the 2012-2013 Fiscal Year was $56,948,972,000.
The superintendent's salary, like that of all other state elected officials, is determined by the California Citizens Compensation Commission on an annual basis. The last time the secretary's compensation was changed was 2009, when the office's salary and benefits were cut by 18 percent.
In 2010, the superintendent received compensation in the amount of $151,127.
|List of Former
Officeholders from 1851-Present
|1||John G. Marvin||1851-1854||Democratic|
|2||Paul K. Hubbs||1854-1857||Democratic|
|3||Andrew J. Moulder||1857-1863||Democratic|
|4||John Swett||1863-1867||Union Party|
|5||O. P. Fitzgerald||1867-1871||Democratic|
|6||Henry N. Bolander||1871-1875||Republican|
|7||Ezra S. Carr||1875-1880||Republican|
|8||Frederick M. Campbell||1880-1883||Republican|
|9||William T. Welcker||1883-1887||Democratic|
|10||Ira G. Hoitt||1887-1891||Republican|
|11||J. W. Anderson||1891-1895||Republican|
|12||Samuel T. Black||1895-1898||Republican|
|13||Charles T. Meredith||1898-1899||Democratic|
|14||Thomas J. Kirk||1899-1907||Republican|
|16||Will C. Wood||1919-1927||Nonpartisan|
|17||William John Cooper||1927-1929||Nonpartisan|
|18||Vierling C. Kersey||1929-1937||Nonpartisan|
|19||Walter F. Dexter||1937-1945||Nonpartisan|
|20||Roy E. Simpson||1945-1963||Nonpartisan|
|21||Maxwell L. Rafferty Jr.||1963-1971||Nonpartisan|
|22||Wilson C. Riles||1971-1983||Nonpartisan|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term California + Superintendent + Public + Instruction
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Things are looking up for California schools, state superintendent says - San Jose Mercury News
- Many possible contenders for Rep. George Miller's seat - San Francisco Chronicle
- LA Unified asking community for ideas on state spending plan - LA School Report
- Weingarten slams teacher evaluation by student test scores - Washington Post (blog)
- Billionaire-backed education ?reform? organizations attack California teachers - World Socialist Web Site
- Dropouts flooding Kent's second-chance iGrad school - The Seattle Times
- Torlakson: Proposition 30 tax increases should be extended - Sacramento Bee (blog)
- Merced education officials await details on future funding - Modesto Bee
- School Beat: 2014 and Public Education - Beyond Chron
- Jerry Brown: Earl Warren Redux? - Fox and Hounds Daily
1430 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 319-0800
- Superintendent of Schools
- Tom Torlakson
- California school districts
- California Department of Education
- Project VoteSmart, "Bio of Tom Torlakson," accessed June 27, 2011.
- California Education Code, "Title 2, Division 2, Part 20, Chapter 3, Article 1, Sections 33302/33303," accessed June 27, 2011.
- California Secretary of State, "Summary of Qualifications and Requirements for Superintendent of Public Instruction -- June 8, 2010 Primary Election," accessed June 27, 2011.
- California Constitution, "Article 9, Section 2," accessed June 27, 2011.
- California Constitution, "Article 2, Section 6," accessed June 27, 2011.
- California Constitution, "Article 9, Section 2," accessed June 23, 2011.
- California Education Code, "Title 2, Division 2, Part 20, Chapter 2, Article 1, Section 33100," accessed June 27, 2011.
- California Education Code, "Title 2, Division 2, Part 20, Chapter 2, Article 2, Sections 33110-33133," accessed June 27, 2011.
- California Department of Education, "Organization," accessed June 27, 2011.
- California Department of Finance, "Enacted Budget FY 2012-2013," accessed May 28, 2013
- The Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2013, Table 4.11," accessed February 2, 2014.
- Council of State Governments, "Book of the States 2010 -- Table 4.11," accessed June 23, 2011.
- National Governors Association, "History of California Constitutional Officers," accessed September 9, 2013