For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
California's reputation as the engine of the television and film industry means that plenty of money and notable personalities are mobilized for advertising campaigns. This broadcasting firepower combined with the state's lengthy history of ballot measures contributes to an active market for political coverage across the state. This page details the various outlets that cover ballot measures in California.
Editorial position of major daily newspapers
- For a full list of newspapers and endorsements: Endorsements of California ballot measures, 2012
A newspaper's coverage and endorsements of California's propositions are guided by the editorial position of that paper's editorial board.
This editorial position table highlights the 2012 editorial board endorsements in selected contests for six major daily newspapers in California, as well as summarizing the distribution region of each paper. Though reasons for each position vary widely from paper to paper, the positions can be generally categorized. The right-leaning position for each issue is listed immediately below with the left-leaning position holding the opposition position.
- For Prop 30, indicates a right-leaning position. For more information, see the text of the proposition.
- For Prop 32, indicates a right-leaning position. For more information, see the text of the proposition.
- For Prop 34, indicates a right-leaning position. For more information, see the text of the proposition.
- Endorsing the Republican 2012 presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, indicates a right-leaning position.
Editorial position table
Note: Clicking on the title of the proposition in the column headers takes you directly to the section of the main article about the proposition that includes short excerpts of editorial opinion. For more details on each proposition, see: California 2012 ballot propositions.
|Newspaper||Region||Prop 30||Prop 32||Prop 34||2012 Presidential Endorsement|
|Los Angeles Times||Los Angeles||Barack Obama|
|Orange County Register||Orange County||none|
|Sacramento Bee||Sacramento, California Delta and the Sacramento Valley||Barack Obama|
|San Diego Union-Tribune||San Diego||N/A||Mitt Romney|
|San Francisco Chronicle||San Francisco||Barack Obama|
|San Jose Mercury News||South San Francisco Bay||Barack Obama|
Editorial position summary
The general editorial board positions are based on the above endorsements during the 2012 elections.
Alternative news sources without an editorial position
News sources discussing ballot measures do not necessarily offer editorial positions. Some alternative news sources that discuss propositions from multiple angles are listed below:
Public media outlets in California provide in-depth coverage of ballot measures and other elections. The California Channel is a public television channel available throughout California through funding by local cable providers. This station's coverage of public debates and proceedings of the California State Legislature is a state-level version of C-SPAN. KQED serves residents of Northern California communities including Sacramento, San Francisco and Santa Rosa via KQED Public Television 9 and six radio stations. Southern California Public Radio operates stations in Los Angeles, Inland Empire and the Coachella Valley. Residents of Southern California can also learn more about public policy debates on television stations like PBS SoCal and KCET.
California is home to a vast array of active political bloggers, covering issues from the local to the national level. The blogs listed below represent a sample of blogs written about California and by Californians, expressing views from both sides of the aisle. With topics ranging from gun rights to medical marijuana and everything in between, California blogs offer glimpses into political battles in the Golden State.
Note: Each blog features a description of the blog based on recent posts. A description in italics is the description used by the blog owner and does not reflect an endorsement by Ballotpedia.
- AboutCambria.com Information concerning the Cambria Community Services District
- The Liberal OC Challenging Orange County's Right-Wing Noise Machine
- Mayor Sam's Sister City Home of Los Angeles Politics
- Newport Beach Voices Jack Wu's archived columns from the Orange County Register
- Calbuzz Political news, analysis, commentary and more about California and beyond
- California Progress Report An independent online journal that covers a wide range of public policy issues
- California TCOT The West Coast bunker for Conservatives on Twitter
- Calitics A progressive open source news organization for California politics
- CALPIRG CALPIRG’s mission is to deliver persistent, result-oriented public interest activism
- Flash Report Flash Report on California's most significant political news
- Fox and Hounds Keeping tabs on California business and politics
- Groundswell Blog for the California League of Conservation Voters
- Labor's Edge Views from the California Labor Movement
- Powder Blue Report News, finance, politics, sports, and fun from the west coast
- Rough & Tumble A snapshot of California Public Policy and Politics
- Woody's Woundup Everything from politics, to religion, to religious politics, to mere nostalgia
- 24 Ahead Focuses mostly on immigration issues, but also touches on other political topics
- Alliance for Liberty Helping to Produce Conservative Change
- An Angeleno's View of the World A writer who hears everything
- The Bear Flag League California's Conservative Political Blogging Circuit
- Big Lizards Covers a wide variety of issues including gun rights, health insurance and other current events
- Body Parts Struggle against subjectivity
- California Conservative Speaking out for the silenced minority
- Flopping Aces Covers a wide variety of issues including the war on terror, mainstream media and immigration
- Gay Patriot The Internet home for the American gay conservative
- Hispanic Pundit A site on politics and current events from a conservative Hispanic perspective
- Marooned in Marin Covers various political issues, including happenings in the Middle East and current elections
- Political Pistachio Blog of radio host Douglas V. Gibbs
- Right on the Left Coast Views from a Conservative Teacher - Education, politics and anything else that catches my attention
- Stop the ACLU Beating them with their own hammer sickle
- Tammy Bruce Blog of Tammy Bruce, and Independent Conservative radio talk show host
- Janson Media, "Top 50 U.S. Markets," accessed June 16, 2014
- Berk Marketing, "Top 100 Radio Markets," accessed June 16, 2014
- The Alliance for Audited Media, "Top 25 U.S. Newspapers for March 2013," accessed June 16, 2014
- The California Channel, "About," accessed June 20, 2014
- KQED, "About KQED," accessed June 20, 2014
- American Public Media, "Southern California Public Radio," accessed June 20, 2014
- KCET, "Home," accessed June 20, 2014