Calumet County, Wisconsin
Calumet County is one of 72 counties in Wisconsin. It was founded in 1836 and is located in the northeastern part of the state. The name stems from "chalumet", French for the Indian implement known as "the pipe of peace." The county covers 319.9 square miles and contains eight lakes. The county seat is Chilton.
- Main article: Evaluation of Wisconsin county websites
- Budget information is listed.
- A list of previous and upcoming meetings is available.
- Board supervisors and contact information are listed.
- County departments have contact information available.
- Provides information about contract bids within a policy manual.
- Has contact information for zoning and permits, but does not list any online.
- Online tax payment is not offered.
- There is no information on audits, lobbying or public records requests.
The Wisconsin Freedom of Information Council performed an audit of compliance with the Wisconsin Open Records Law in 2008. 3 in 10 of the requests submitted were found to be ignored or responded to in violation of state law.
Calumet County scored poorly on the audit. The Sheriff's Department would not turn over the public records until the requestor supplied his/her press pass to be photocopied, a direct violation of state law. Additionally, "of 20 records requests made in Calumet, Outagamie, Waupaca and Winnebago counties, 10 were denied or encountered resistance. Statewide, three in 10 requests were denied or not properly fulfilled."
See "Audit finds nearly 10% of open records requests denied" for more.
- Calumet County website
- Calumet County Chamber of Commerce
- Calumet County on E-Reference Desk
- Calumet County on E-podunk
- Calumet County on Wisconline
- Use of closed sessions varies widely among Fox Valley governments, Post Crescent, March 15, 2009
- 2008 Public Records Audit Results
- ↑ Etymology - Origin of County Name, E-Reference Desk
- ↑ County Seats of Wisconsin
- ↑ County Budget
- ↑ County Meetings
- ↑ 
- ↑ County Departments
- ↑ Policy manual
- ↑ County Zoning
- ↑ Treasurer
- ↑ Records requests met with mixed results, Baraboo News Republic, November 20, 2008
- ↑ 3 in 10 public-records requests in Wisconsin not properly fulfilled, Isthmus, November 19, 2008
- ↑ Fox Valley agencies score low in public records audit, Post Crescent, November 20, 2008