Capital School District, Delaware
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Delaware school district websites
This website was reviewed on January 9, 2012.
- School board members are listed with contact information.
- Meeting schedules, agendas, and minutes are posted.
- Background check policies are outlined.
- The previous year's budget is posted, but not the current or other prior budgets.
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information.
- Salary schedules and collective bargaining agreements are posted.
- The site links to the Delaware Department of Education's district profile page, which contains basic financial and academic performance information for the district and its schools.
- The district's checkbook register is posted online.
- Bid opportunities are not posted.
- The current budget is not posted, and only one previous year's budget is available.
- Audits and tax rates are not posted.
- There is no information on how to make public record requests.
Board of education
|Phillip Martino Jr.||President|
|Kay Dietz-Sass||Vice President|
|Brian E. Lewis||Member|
Michael Thomas is the Superintendent.
Collective bargaining agreements and salary schedules are posted on the district website.
|Supp. Svc. Student Transp.||$3,905,471||5.03%|
|Supp. Svc. Ops & Maint.||$8,784,719||11.32%|
District Allocation of Expenses (2008-09)
|Support Services Operations and Maintenance||12.95%|
|Support Services Student Transportation||5.51%|
Per pupil spending
For the 2008-09 school year the District spent $12,056 per pupil.
Delaware's school accountability system merges state accountability processes (School Rating) with the federal requirements (AYP), No Child Left Behind (NCLB). Annual reports are available dating back to 2004 on the Delaware Department of Education website.
School Ratings that a school may earn are:
- 5 stars – Superior
- 4 stars - Commendable
- 3 stars - Academic Review
- 2 stars - Academic Progress
- 1 star - Academic Watch.
Possible AYP results are:
- Below Target
- Meets Target
- Above Target
In 2011, Capital School District met its AYP goals and was rated "Commendable."
|School||Level||2008-09 School Rating||2008-09 AYP||2007-08 School Rating||2007-08 AYP|
|East Dover Elementary||Elementary||4 Stars||Meets Target||4 Stars||Above Target|
|Fairview Elementary||Elementary||5 Stars||Meets Target||3 Stars||Below Target|
|Hartly Elementary||Elementary||5 Stars||Above Target||5 Stars||Above Target|
|North Dover Elementary||Elementary||5 Stars||Above Target||5 Stars||Above Target|
|South Dover Elementary||Elementary||4 Stars||Meets Target||5 Stars||Above Target|
|Towne Point Elementary||Elementary||4 Stars||Meets Target||4 Stars||Above Target|
|Washington (Booker T.) Elementary||Elementary||5 Stars||Meets Target||5 Stars||Meets Target|
|Central Middle||Middle||2 Stars||Below Target||2 Stars||Below Target|
|Henry (William) Middle||Middle||1 Star||Below Target||2 Stars||Below Target|
|Dover High||High||1 Star||Below Target||2 Stars||Below Target|
|Kent County Alternative Programs||Other||5 Stars||Above Target|
|Kent County Community School||Other||5 Stars||Above Target||4 Stars||Meets Target|
|Subject||% Met Standards in 2nd Grade||% Met in 3rd||% Met in 4th||% Met in 5th||% Met in 6th||% Met in 7th||% Met in 8th||% Met in 9th||% Met in 10th|
In 2010, Capital's federal graduation rate was 77.9%, and its dropout rate was 6.6%.
In the 2009-10 school year the District has a total of 431 choice students at 10 schools.
- Capital School District official site
- Capital Educators Association
- Great Schools profile
- Public School Review profile
- School Matters profile
- School Digger profile
- Capital School District "School Profiles," Accessed January 9, 2012
- Capital School District "Contact the Board," Accessed January 9, 2012
- Capital School District "School Board," Accessed January 9, 2012
- Capital School District "Board Policies," Accessed January 9, 2012
- Capital School District "Financial Budget," Accessed January 9, 2012
- Capital School District "Administrators," Accessed January 9, 2012
- Capital School District "Human Resources," Accessed January 9, 2012
- Delaware.gov "Online Checkbook," Accessed January 9, 2012
- Brandywine District Profile - School Finances
- Capital Profile - School Finances
- Delaware Department of Education - Delaware Accountability
- Delaware Department of Education - School District Profiles
- Capital Educators Association
- Capital Profile - School Choice