Carlsbad Unified School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Carlsbad Unified School District
San Diego County, California ballot measures
Local ballot measures, California
Four seats on the Carlsbad Unified School District Board of Trustees are up for general election on November 4, 2014. Three at-large seats are up for election to four-year terms, and one at-large seat is up for election to a two-year term. Incumbents Claudine Jones and Veronica Williams are running against challengers Maria Rosino Miracco, Gil Soto, Kathy Rallings and Sage Naumann for the four-year term seats, and candidates Ray Pearson and Jenae Torgersen are running for election to the two-year term seat.
About the district
Carlsbad Unified School District is located in San Diego County, California. The county seat of San Diego County is San Diego. San Diego County is home to 3,211,252 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Carlsbad Unified School District was the 146th-largest school district by enrollment in California and served 11,063 students.
San Diego County outperformed the rest of California in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 34.4 percent of San Diego County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.5 percent for California as a whole. The median household income for San Diego County was $63,373 compared to $61,400 for the entire state. The percentage of people below poverty level for San Diego County was 13.9 percent while it was 15.3 percent statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Carlsbad Unified School District Board of Trustees consists of five members elected at-large to four-year terms. There is no primary election, and the general election will be held on November 4, 2014. Four seats are up for election in 2014, and two seats will be up for election in 2016.
School board candidates had to file with their county elections department during the candidate filing period. The filing period began July 14, 2014, and ended August 8, 2014. To vote in the 2014 general election, voters must register by October 20, 2014. Voters can request vote-by-mail ballots from October 6, 2014, through October 28, 2014.
Candidates must file contribution reports within 24 hours of receiving an aggregate total of $1,000 or more from a single source. The first scheduled pre-election report filing deadline is October 6, 2014. If candidates raised or spent less than $1,000 during the 2013 and 2014 calendar years, they must file Form 470 at that time. If candidates raised or spent more during that time, they must file Form 460 by the pre-election report filing deadline.
Candidates required to file Form 460 also have to file a second pre-election report on October 23, 2014, and they must file termination reports by December 31, 2014. If a termination report is not filed, candidates must file a semi-annual report by February 2, 2015.
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|July 14, 2014||First day for candidates to file nomination documents|
|August 8, 2014||Last day for candidates to file nomination documents|
|October 6, 2014||First day to request vote-by-mail ballot|
|October 6, 2014||First pre-election report due|
|October 20, 2014||Last day to register to vote|
|October 23, 2014||Second pre-election report due|
|October 28, 2014||Last day to request vote-by-mail ballot|
|November 4, 2014||Election Day|
|December 31, 2014||Termination report due|
|February 2, 2015||Semi-annual report due|
Additional elections on the ballot
- See also: California elections, 2014
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Carlsbad + Unified + School + District + California"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Carlsbad Unified School District, California
- California school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- San Diego County, California ballot measures
- California ballot measures
- Carlsbad Unified School District, "Board Members," accessed July 15, 2014
- San Diego County Registrar of Voters, "Gubernatorial General Election Candidate List," accessed August 19, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "San Diego County, California," accessed July 14, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- San Diego County Registrar of Voters, "Presidential General Election November 6, 2012, Official Results," accessed July 14, 2014
- San Diego County Registrar of Voters, "Presidential General Election November 4, 2008, Official Results," accessed July 14, 2014
- San Diego County Registrar of Voters, "General Election November 2, 2004, Final Official Results," accessed July 14, 2014
- San Diego County Registrar of Voters, "General Election November 7, 2000," accessed July 14, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Summary of November 4, 2014, General Election Calendar," accessed July 14, 2014
- Fair Political Practices Commission, "Filing Schedule for Candidates and Controlled Committees for Local Office Being Voted on November 4, 2014," accessed August 19, 2014
- San Diego County Registrar of Voters, "Candidate Schedule November 4, 2014," accessed July 15, 2014
- San Diego Registrar of Voters, "Gubernatorial Primary Election Tuesday, June 3, 2014," accessed July 14, 2014
|2014 Carlsbad Unified School District Elections|
|San Diego County, California|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large (four-year term): • Incumbent, Claudine Jones • Incumbent, Veronica Williams • Maria Rosino Miracco • Gil Soto • Kathy Rallings • Sage Naumann |
At-large (two-year term): • Ray Pearson • Jenae Torgersen
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|