|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 6A|
|2011 - present|
|January 6, 2015|
|Years in position||3|
|Assistant Majority Leader, Minnesota House of Representatives|
|2013 - present|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||February 15, 2011|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Bemidji State University|
|Birthday||August 13, 1985|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Scorecards
- 7 Controversies
- 8 Recent news
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Melin earned her bachelor's degree in Political Science magna cum laude from Bemidji State University, and her J.D. from the Hamline University School of Law. Her professional experience includes working with the Minnesota State Judiciary on the Iron Range.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Melin served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Early Childhood and Youth Development Policy|
|• Judiciary Finance and Policy, Vice-chair|
|• Rules and Legislative Administration|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Melin served on the following committees:
|Minnesota Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Capital Investment|
|• Jobs and Economic Development Finance|
|• Judiciary Policy and Finance|
Melin's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Jobs and the Economy
- Excerpt: "Investing in our infrastructure keeps us competitive nationally and globally, while putting Minnesotans in the construction trades back to work."
- Excerpt: "Our leading generation deserves the best in health care, good housing options, and access to services. It is their time to enjoy retirement, not to endure painful budget cuts to services they deserve."
- Excerpt: "I will continue my advocacy for fair funding for our schools and targeted aid for new technology. Minnesotans deserve a world-class education no matter what corner of the state their school is located."
Mining and Natural Resources
- Excerpt: "I support mining in Northeastern Minnesota. Our taconite mines are essential to our local and state economy, and are currently employing thousands of workers across the Iron Range."
Budget and Taxes
- Excerpt: "Property taxes are one of the most regressive forms of taxation, and I will continue to fight to keep them low. Minnesotans deserve taxation that is fair and balanced."
Elections for the office of Minnesota House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 12, 2014, and a general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 3, 2014. Incumbent Carly Melin defeated John Finken in the Democratic primary. Roger Weber was unopposed in the Republican primary.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 6A Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Carly Melin Incumbent||80%||2,979|
Melin won re-election in the 2012 election for Minnesota House of Representatives District 6A. He was unopposed in the Democratic primary on August 7 and defeated Roger Weber (R) in the general election on November 6.
|Minnesota House of Representatives, District 6A, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Carly Melin Incumbent||70.9%||14,589|
2011 special election
Comprehensive donor information for Melin is available dating back to 2011. Based on available campaign finance records, Melin raised a total of $99,877 during that time period. This information was last updated on December 12, 2013.
|Carly Melin's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Minnesota House, District 6A||$34,106|
|2011||Minnesota House, District 5B||$65,771|
|Grand Total Raised||$99,877|
2012Melin won re-election to the Minnesota House of Representatives in 2012. During that election cycle, Melin raised a total of $34,106.
|Minnesota House of Representatives 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Carly Melin's campaign in 2012|
|6th Senate District Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party||$2,500|
|Melin, Carly C.||$2,000|
|Dicklich, Ronald R.||$500|
|Total Raised in 2012||$34,106|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Taxpayers League of Minnesota
The Taxpayers League of Minnesota, a Minnesota-based taxpayer advocacy organization, releases a legislative scorecard for the Minnesota House of Representatives and Minnesota State Senate once a year. The scorecard gives each legislator a score based on how they voted in the prior legislative term on tax issues and “their efforts to balance the state budget without a tax increase.” The organization also compiles a legislator’s individual "Lifetime Score."
Ahead of the February 15, 2011, special election, the Minnesota GOP challenged Melin's residency, claiming she was ineligible to run.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Carly + Melin + Minnesota + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Office website
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Carly Melin on Twitter
- Northlands News Center, "Sertich New IRRRB Commissioner," January 11, 2011
- carlymelin.com, "Issues," accessed July 23, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "State Canvassing Board Report," August 19, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2014 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed July 25, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "2012 State General Election Candidate Filings," accessed June 18, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Minnesota State Canvassing Report - State Primary - Tuesday, August 14, 2012," accessed April 23, 2014
- Minneapolis Star Tribune, "Range DFLer wins special election to fill state House seat," February 15, 2011
- Follow the Money, "Melin, Carly," accessed December 12, 2013
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecards," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2013," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2012," accessed May 15, 2014
- Taypayers League of Minnesota, "Legislative Scorecard, 2011," accessed May 15, 2014
- Duluth News Tribune, "Republicans question Melin’s residency in District 5B," February 3, 2011
David Dill (DFL)
|Minnesota State House District 6A
| Succeeded by|
Anthony Sertich (DFL)
|Minnesota State House District 5B
| Succeeded by|
Tom Anzelc (DFL)
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |