Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Arizona State Senate, District 7|
|August 6, 2013 - present|
|January 5, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
Following his swearing-in, Begay's residency was called into question by Rep. Albert Hale (D), who had sought appointment to the District 7 seat. Earlier in 2013, during confirmation to the Industrial Development Authority Board, Begay told the Arizona State Legislature that he resided in Gilbert in Maricopa County. On July 22, 2013, Begay changed his voter registration to Ganado in Apache County. The Arizona Constitution requires that a legislator be a resident of the county he or she is elected from for "at least one year" prior. At the time, state law also required that appointed legislators must live in the same district and carry the same party affiliation as the legislator being replaced. In September 2013, the chairman of the Apache County Board of Supervisors told county attorneys not to mount a formal legal challenge.
On September 23, 2013, Arizona Solicitor General Robert Ellman said in a letter to Hale's attorney, Tom Ryan, that he would not investigate Begay's residency, but that Hale could pursue his own lawsuit. The following month, Ryan said that Hale would not go forward with a legal challenge, citing time and money.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Carlyle + Begay + Arizona + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Associated Press, "Appointed state lawmaker gave Gilbert residence," August 10, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- AZ Capitol Times, "Apache County board chairman: 'Stay out of the fight,' September 9, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- The Republic, "AG won't look into senator's residency," September 23, 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- The Arizona Republic, "Critic drops challenge over Sen. Begay’s residency," October 10, 2013. Retrieved November 8, 2013.