|California State Assembly, District 16|
|December 1, 2014 - Present|
|December 4, 2016|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 4, 2014|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Term limits||12 years|
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Baker served on the following committees:
|California Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Business, Professions and Consumer Protection|
|• Higher Education, Vice chair|
|• Privacy and Consumer Protection|
Baker's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Reform, modernize, and hold accountable our education system
- Excerpt: "I believe classroom teachers should have every dollar they need to help each child meet his or her full education potential. As your Assemblywoman, I’ll fight to ensure school funding actually reaches the classroom rather than being diverted into the education bureaucracy."
Make California a pro-job, pro-employment state again
- Excerpt: "I’ll work across party lines to modernize outdated regulations that suppress job creation, to make smarter infrastructure investments that support economic prosperity, and to promote job opportunities for working families."
Pay down the state debt and not leave our kids with the bill
- Excerpt: "As your Assemblywoman, I will fight to stop the state from accumulating more debt, and fight to pay down the debt we have now so it is not a burden on us or our children."
Cut waste so we can afford great roads, schools, and public safety
- Excerpt: "As a legislator, I will fight waste in the giant Sacramento bureaucracy and fight to allow our local governments and agencies to have the flexibility they deserve to provide local services at the lowest cost for California taxpayers. "
End the political corruption in the state Legislature
- Excerpt: "As your Assemblywoman, I’ll fight to give real teeth to ethics rules and support expelling corrupt politicians from the Legislature and prohibiting them from remaining on the taxpayer payroll."
Elections for the office of California State Assembly took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 7, 2014. Tim Sbranti (D) and Catharine Baker (R) defeated Newell Arnerich (D) and Steve Glazer (D) in the blanket primary. Baker defeated Sbranti in the general election.
|California State Assembly, District 16, General Election, 2014|
In 2014, Baker's endorsements included the following:
- Bob Huff, Senate Republican Leader
- Connie Conway, Assembly Republican Leader
- Mike Morrell, State Senator
- Dick Rainey, Former State Senator & Contra Costa County Sheriff
- Rocky Chavez, Assemblyman
- Brian Jones, Assemblyman
- Melissa Melendez, Assemblywoman
- Brian Nestande, Assemblyman
- Kristin Olsen, Assemblywoman
- Don Wagner, Assemblyman
- Scott Wilk, Assemblyman
- Michelle Steel, State Board of Equalization
- Mary Nejedly Piepho, Supervisor, Contra Costa County
- Russell (Rusty) Watts, Treasurer-Tax Collector, Contra Costa County
- Debora Allen, Contra Costa Employees’ Retirement Association
- Stephan Mick, Member, Alamo Municipal Advisory Council
- Kevin Hart, Councilmember, City of Dublin
- Traci Reilly, Councilmember, City of Lafayette
- Jerry Thorne, Mayor, City of Pleasanton
- Karla Brown, Councilmember, City of Pleasanton
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Catharine + Baker + California + Assembly"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- California State Legislature
- California State Assembly
- California Assembly Committees
- California state legislative districts
- Profile from the California State Assembly
- Official campaign website
- Profile from Open States
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- bakerforassembly.com, "On The Issues," accessed May 9, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official 2014 Primary election candidate list," accessed March 27, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official primary election results," accessed July 15, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Official general election results," accessed December 14, 2014
- bakerforassembly.com, "Endorsements," accessed May 9, 2014
Joan Buchanan (D)
|California State Assembly District 16
| Succeeded by|