Cave Creek City Council recall, Arizona (2014)
An effort to recall Vice Mayor Adam Trenk and councilmen Mike Durkin, Reg Monachino and Charles Spitzer in Cave Creek, Arizona from their positions was launched in 2014. The recall was initially ruled invalid by a judge before it could go to a vote. The recall election took place by mail-in ballot on March 10 . All four officials were successfully recalled.
Recall proponent arguments
The petitions circulated by recall proponents charged the targeted officials with "fiscal irresponsibility, material misrepresentation to the public in the 2013 election, and lack of transparency with regard [to] the operation of town government."
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Arizona
On May 27, 2014, Cave Creek Town Clerk Carrie Dyrek verified that enough valid signatures had been submitted to trigger a recall election for all four targeted officials. The election was initially scheduled for November 4, 2014. On June 20, 2014, a judge ruled that certain recall petitions were not worded properly and thus invalidated too many signatures for the recall to move forward.
- Sonoran News, "Recall on for all four slate councilmen," May 28, 2014
- azcentral.com, "Judge tosses Cave Creek recall effort," June 20, 2014
- The Foothils Focus, "Cave Creek special mail-in election moving forward," January 14, 2015
- AZ Central, "Cave Creek council members losing in recall election," March 11, 2015
State of Arizona
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Lands | Director of Labor | Chairman of Corporation Commission | State Mine Inspector |