Challengers appear in Morse, Giron recall elections
By Alex Murray
Fellow Democratic Sen. Angela Giron also has a tentative challenger in former Pueblo deputy police chief George Rivera (R), who turned in about 1,500 signatures last Friday. Sonia Negrete-Winn (D), a social worker from Pueblo, pledged to run to prevent a Republican's election, but did not gather the required 1,000 signatures by yesterday's deadline.
The signatures submitted by Herpin and Rivera remain to be verified.
Morse and Giron are targeted for recall because of their support of gun control legislation that introduced background checks on all firearms sales, as well as limits on magazine capacity. The recall ballot for each will ask if the senator should be recalled, and if so, who should fill the vacancy. Voters will be allowed the option to write in their choice for a replacement.
Hickenlooper set the September 10 election date on July 19 after District Judge Robert Hyatt ruled that the recall elections against Morse and Giron could move forward. Opponents charged that the petition language failed to include language calling for the election of a replacement legislator, which is constitutionally required. In his decision, Hyatt said that the call for the election of a replacement was implied.
|Propositions •||Recall||• Law|
- John Morse recall, Colorado State Senate (2013)
- John Morse
- Bernie Herpin
- Angela Giron
- Angela Giron recall, Colorado State Senate (2013)
- Robert Hyatt
- The Associated Press, "Bernie Herpin files signatures to challenge Morse," July 29, 2013.
- The Pueblo Gazette, "Bernie Herpin wins bid for GOP spot on Morse recall ballot," July 9, 2013.
- The Associated Press, "GOP candidate in Pueblo recall race submits signatures," July 26, 2013.
- The Denver Post, "Sen. Angela Giron will be the only Democrat on the Sept. 10 recall ballot," July 29, 2013.
- Bloomberg News, "Colorado Firearm Advocates Push Recall in Gun Control," July 25, 2013.
- The Denver Post, "Republican vying to unseat Sen. Morse moves to get name on ballot," July 29, 2013.
- The Pueblo Chieftain, "Governor sets Sept. 10 for special election," July 18-24, 2013.
- The Pueblo Chieftain, "Recall ballots to be mailed Aug. 19," July 20, 2013.