Charles J. Ricotta
|Charles J. Ricotta|
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Board member, Wappingers Central Board of Education, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||May 20, 2014|
Charles J. Ricotta and five other challengers lost to incumbents Ved Shravah and John Lumia and newcomers Peggy Kelland, Tracy V. Pelton and Seema Rizvi for the five at-large seats in the general election on May 20, 2014.
The resignations of board members Thomas Piliouras and Daniel Miller in February 2014 led to an increase in the number of seats up for election from three to five. The candidate who received the fourth-most votes in the May election, Seema Rizvi, received Piliouras's seat, which carried an unexpired two-year term. The candidate who received the fifth-most votes in the May election, Ved Shravah, received Miller's seat, which carried an unexpired one-year term.
|Wappingers Central School District, At-Large General Election, 3-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||John Lumia Incumbent||12.8%||3,197|
|Nonpartisan||Tracy V. Pelton||11.4%||2,835|
|Nonpartisan||Ved Shravah Incumbent||9.6%||2,398|
|Nonpartisan||Anne M. LaValle||8.4%||2,098|
|Nonpartisan||Eddy A. Sloshower||7.1%||1,759|
|Nonpartisan||Charles J. Ricotta||5.1%||1,275|
|Source: Poughkeepsie Journal, "Wappingers budget passes; 5 win seats," May 20, 2014|
Ricotta did not receive any endorsements during the election.
About the districtDutchess County, New York. The county seat of Dutchess County is Poughkeepsie. Dutchess County is home to 296,916 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. Wappingers Central is the eighth-largest school district in New York, serving 11,950 students during the 2011-2012 school year.
Dutchess County underperformed in comparison to the rest of New York in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 32.5 percent of Dutchess County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 32.8 percent for New York as a whole. The median household income in Dutchess County was $71,508 compared to $57,683 for the state of New York. The poverty rate in Dutchess County was 9.1 percent compared to 14.9 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Charles + Ricotta + Wappingers + Central + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- ShreveportTimes, "Today's news summary, Feb. 11, 2014," February 11, 2014
- Poughkeepsie Journal, "Another Wappingers board member resigns," February 17, 2014
- New York State Board of Elections, "Contribution Search," accessed May 20, 2014
- New York State Board of Elections, "Expenditure Search," accessed May 20, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Dutchess County, New York," accessed April 10, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- New York State Board of Elections, "NYS Voter Enrollment by County, Party Affiliation and Status - Voters Registered as of November 01, 2013," accessed April 10, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
|2014 Wappingers Central School District Elections|
|Dutchess County, New York|
|Election date:||May 20, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Incumbent, Ved Shravah • Incumbent, John Lumia • Matthew Henning • Peggy Kelland • Anne M. LaValle • Emanuele Marinaro • Tracy V. Pelton • Stephen Perillo • Charles J. Ricotta • Seema Rizvi • Eddy A. Sloshower|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|