Charles Melki and Diane Hyrman recall, Gaines Township, Michigan (2014)
Efforts to recall Supervisor Charles Melki, Treasurer Diane Hyrman, and Clerk Michael Dowler in Gaines Township, Michigan from their positions were launched in 2013 and 2014. Between November 2013 and February 2014, eight recall attempts were made against Melki and Hyrman. A recall election took place on November 4, 2014. Melki was recalled while Hyrman and Dowler were retained. Paul Fortino defeated Melki by 229 votes.
Recall proponent arguments
Petition language submitted for approval by proponents for the recall of Hyrman cited her vote against the addition of a police millage rate to the 2013 general election ballot. Petition language submitted for the recall of Melki cited his decision to add the police millage rate to the 2013 ballot as reason for the recall effort.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Michigan
Several petitions calling for the recall of Hyrman and Melki were submitted for approval to the Genesee County Board of Elections, all hinging on the aforementioned police millage rate. Petition language was ultimately approved for both officials. Signatures for the recall of Hyrman were submitted in late May 2014. Petitions against Melki were outstanding at that time.
Sherry Johnson (R) filed to run against Dowler, while William Pittsley (R) filed to run against Hyrman.
- MLive.com, "Gaines Township hit by recall fever with a dozen attempts to unseat leaders," February 14, 2014
- MLive, "Another month, another recall try in Gaines Township," February 11, 2014
- The Recall Elections Blog, "Michigan: Gaines Township Treasurer, Clerk signatures handed in," May 22, 2014
- MLive, "Gaines Township Supervisor Chuck Melki is recalled while treasurer, clerk will remain in their seats," November 5, 2014
- MLive.com, "Challengers named for recall ballot in two of three recalls in Gaines Township," July 11, 2014
- MLive.com, "Attorney investigating if recall petitioners can be poll workers in Gaines Township," September 8, 2014
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |