|Alabama House of Representatives District 90|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||26|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||University of Alabama|
|Master's||University of Alabama|
|Birthday||July 11, 1947|
|Place of birth||Greenville, AL|
|Profession||President, Newton Oil Company|
Newton's professional experience includes serving as the director of Greenville Bank, president of Newton Oil Company and director of the South Central Alabama Mental Health Board.
Newton served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Internal Affairs Committee, Alabama House of Representatives, Ranking Minority Member
- Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee, Alabama House of Representatives, Ranking Minority Member
- Subcommittee on Public Safety
- Subcommittee on Taxes, Exemptions/Benefits (Ways and Means General Fund)
Elections for the office of Alabama House of Representatives will consist of a primary election on June 3, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2013. Walton Hickman is unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Charles Newton will face Chris Sells in the Republican primary.
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 90 General Election (2010)|
|Charles Newton (D)||8,577|
|Jerry Hartin (R)||5,855|
Newton raised $0 for his campaign.
In 2010, Newton raised $23,198 in contributions.
His four largest contributors were:
|Alabama State Employees Association||$2,000|
|Alabama Power Co||$1,500|
|Alabama Trial Lawyers Association||$1,500|
In 2006, Newton raised no money.
Below are Newton's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2002 election:
|AL Action Cmte for Rural Electrification||$1,000|
|AL Assoc of Realtors||$1,000|
|House Democratic Caucus of Alabama||$500|
Newton and his wife, Jan, have three children.
He is a member of the Alabama Historical Association, Cattlemen's Association, First Baptist Church of Greenville, Greenville Chamber of Commerce, and Greenville Rotary Club.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Charles + Newton + Alabama + House
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Veteran state Rep. Charles Newton of Greenville switches to Republican Party - The Huntsville Times - al.com (blog)
- From the Creaux's Nest - TheRecordLive.com
- Democratic Rep. Charles Newton switches to GOP - Alabama's13.com
- Montgomery County home sales - Washington Post
- Candidates qualify for election - The Southeast Sun
- Longtime AL Democrat switching to Republican Party - WAFF
- Several political offices to be contested - Dothan Eagle
- Achievements: EWU students named to dean's honor roll - The Spokesman Review
- On busy qualifying day, former US Rep. Parker Griffith announces run for governor - Montgomery Advertiser
- Democratic Rep. Charles Newton of Greenville switches to Republican Party - Greenfield Daily Reporter
- Alabama Legislature - Charles Newton
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2010, 2008, 2006, 2002, 1998
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 27, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 27, 2014
- Statewide general election results (Archived), accessed December 13, 2013
- 2006 election results, Alabama
- Alabama House spending, 2006
- followthemoney.org, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- 2006 contributions to Charles Newton
- Follow the Money - 2002 Campaign contributions
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Newton
|Alabama House District 90
| Succeeded by|
State of Alabama
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer| Auditor| Superintendent of Education| Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Agriculture and Industries| Commissioner of Labor| Public Service Commission|