|Texas State Senate District 5|
|2013 - Present|
|January 13, 2015|
|Years in position||1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Texas State House, District 20|
- 1 Committee assignments
- 2 Issues
- 3 Elections
- 4 Campaign donors
- 5 Scorecards
- 6 Personal
- 7 Recent news
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Schwertner served in the Texas House of Representatives, representing District 20 from 2011 to 2013.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Schwertner served on the following committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Agriculture, Rural Affairs & Homeland Security|
|• Government Organization, Vice-chair|
|• Health & Human Services|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Charles Schwertner served on the following Texas House of Representatives committees:
|Texas Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Public Health|
Schwertner's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Standing up for Conservative Values
- "Strongly support reduced government spending"
- "Support Balanced State and Federal budgets"
- "Support State’s Rights"
Cracking Down on Illegal Immigration
- "Oppose amnesty for illegal aliens "
- "Support increased funding for DPS border security"
- "Support legislation that requires all city/county jail inmates have Homeland Security/Immigration background checks"
Local Jobs & Agriculture
- "Work to foster economic development by maintaining a healthy business environment that includes keeping taxes low"
- "Oppose abusive and frivolous lawsuits"
- "Protect tax exemptions for small business "
Protecting our Local Land & Water
- "Support regional water planning and proper regulation and conservation of Texas’ water resources"
- "Oppose the construction of a reservoir on the Little River to be used to supply water to far away urban areas "
- See also: Texas State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Texas State Senate will consist of a primary election on March 4, 2014, and a general election on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 9, 2013. Incumbent Charles Schwertner was unopposed in the Republican primary, while Joel Shapiro was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Shapiro, Schwertner and Matthew Whittington (L) will face off in the general election.
- See also: Texas State Senate elections, 2012
Schwertner ran in the 2012 election for Texas State Senate, District 5. Schwertner defeated Ben Bius in the May 29 primary election and defeated Jeffrey Fox (L) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Texas State Senate, District 5, General Election, 2012|
|Texas State Senate District 5 Republican Primary, 2012|
| Texas House of Representatives, District 20 |
2010 General election results
|Charles Schwertner (R)||44,901||89.56%|
|David Floyd (L)||9,490||17.44%|
Comprehensive donor information for Schwertner is available dating back to 2010. Based on available campaign finance records, Schwertner raised a total of $1,343,810 during that time period. This information was last updated on August 21, 2013.
|Charles Schwertner's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||Texas State Senate, District 5||$963,960|
|2010||Texas State House, District 20||$379,850|
|Grand Total Raised||$1,343,810|
2012Schwertner won election to the Texas State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Schwertner raised a total of $963,960.
|Texas State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Charles Schwertner's campaign in 2012|
|Texas Medical Association||$67,160|
|Perry, Bob J||$65,000|
|Schwertner, Charles J||$30,050|
|Texans For Lawsuit Reform||$27,520|
|Texas Society Of Anesthesiologists||$25,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$963,960|
|Source:Follow the Money|
2010Schwertner won election to the Texas House of Representatives in 2010. During that election cycle, Schwertner raised a total of $379,850.
|Texas House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Charles Schwertner's campaign in 2010|
|Perry, Bob J||$47,500|
|Texas Medical Association||$30,465|
|Texans for Lawsuit Reform||$10,000|
|Total Raised in 2010||$379,850|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Empower Texans Fiscal Responsibility Index
Empower Texans produces the Fiscal Responsibility Index as "a measurement of how lawmakers perform on size and role of government issues." The index uses "exemplar votes on core budget and free enterprise issues that demonstrate legislators' governing philosophy." Legislators were graded along a 0 through 100 scale in 2013 and on an A through F grading scale in 2011.
Schwertner received a score of 63 in the 2013 Fiscal Responsibility Index, compared to the grade of B that Schwertner received for the 2011 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
Charles Schwertner received a grade of B on the 2011 Fiscal Responsibility Index.
- 2011 Taxpayer Advocate. Schwertner was named a "2011 Taxpayer Advocate," which is "An award presented to by Texans for Fiscal Responsibility to legislators based on their strong rating on the most recent Fiscal Responsibility Index."
Schwertner and his wife, Belinda, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Charles + Schwertner + Texas + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website
- Texas House member page
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Charles Schwertner on Facebook
- Charlese Schwertner on Twitter
- Texas Secretary of State, 2014 March Primary Election Candidate Filings by County
- drschwertner.com - Issues
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 March Primary Election Candidate Filings by County", accessed March 4, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 Democratic Party Primary Election," accessed April 9, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State, "2014 Republican Party Primary Election," accessed April 9, 2014
- Texas Secretary of State - 2012 Election and Candidate Information
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current Election History," accessed February 17, 2014
- Office of the (Texas) Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report," accessed July 12, 2012
- Official Texas Election Results
- Follow the Money, "Schwertner, Charles," accessed August 21, 2013
- Empower Texans, "Fiscal Responsibility Index," accessed February 22, 2014
- Empower Texans, "2011 Taxpayer Advocates
- drschwertner.com - About
Dan Gattis (R)
|Texas House of Representatives District 20
| Succeeded by|
Marsha Farney (R)
Steve Ogden (R)
|Texas House of Representatives District 4
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |