Charles V. "Charlie" Brown
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Governor of Tennessee|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
Brown is a retired construction worker. His only previous political experience is a failed bid for "road supervisor" which, according to the candidate, was "nearly 50 years" ago.
- See also: Tennessee gubernatorial election, 2014
Brown ran for election to the office of Governor of Tennessee. Brown won the Democratic nomination in the primary on August 7 and faced incumbent Governor Bill Haslam in November. The general election took place November 4, 2014.
|Tennessee Gubernatorial Democratic Primary, 2014|
|Charles V. "Charlie" Brown||41.7%||95,114|
|William H. "John" McKamey||26%||59,200|
|Kennedy Spellman Johnson||24.4%||55,718|
|Election Results Via:http://state.tn.us/sos/election/results/20140807_DemocraticPrimaryCounty.pdf Tennessee Secretary of State].|
|Governor of Tennessee, 2014|
|Republican||Bill Haslam Incumbent||70.3%||951,796|
|Democratic||Charles V. "Charlie" Brown||22.8%||309,237|
|Independent||John Jay Hooker||2.3%||30,579|
|Election Results via Tennessee Secretary of State.|
In a series of letters to the editor that Brown sent to Tennessee newspapers prior to his victory in the primary election, Brown outlined policies he would put in place if elected Governor of Tennessee. The full letters are available on the website of the Blount County Democrats.
Among the issues he emphasized were:
- reforming the management of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, particularly with regard to timber cutting
- mismanaged land deals by the incumbent governor, Bill Haslam
- replenishing wildlife management areas with deer for hunters
- raising interstate speed limits
- increasing the influence of the Bible in public schools
- restoring some form of tenure for public school teachers
- support for the National Rifle Association
Brown lives in Oakdale, Tennessee, with his wife, Julia Sue. He is an avid hunter and outdoorsman.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Charlie + Brown + Tennessee + Governor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Tennessee Secretary of State, "Elections," April 7, 2014
- Slate, "The Alvin Greene of 2014," August 8, 2014
- The Washington Post, "Democratic nominee against Tennessee governor wants to electrocute him," August 8, 2014
- Blount County Democrats, "Letters to the Editor from Charles Brown," accessed August 14, 2014
State of Tennessee
|State executive officers||
Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance| Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environment & Conservation | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | Chairman of Regulatory Authority |