Charlotte County Public Schools, Virginia
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia school district websites
- The 2009-2010 budget, including information regarding federal, state, and local revenue, is available. The budget for 2010-2011 has not been posted.
- School board meeting schedule, as well as minutes and agenda for current meetings, are available.
- Administrative contact information is available.
- Academic performance information is available via a link to the School Report Cards on the Virginia Department of Education website. Accreditation results and AYP results are also posted for the division schools, as well as information regarding Virginia Standards of Learning (SOLs).
- The division website includes a Policy Manual with a Request for Information form, in compliance with Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act, in Section K – School-Community Relations. The manual also includes general information regarding professional staff hiring and evaluations, and conducting audits.
- Vendor contract information is available on the Virginia state website.
- Archived meeting minutes and agendas are not available.
- Individual contact information for school board members is not available. A general phone number and address for the school board office is provided.
- The website does not include the results of audits.
- The website does not include the results of background checks.
- Teacher contracts are not available on the school website. Teacher salary data is available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
The Charlotte County School Board is comprised of seven members elected from the seven county districts. Board goals focus on safety, student outcomes, teacher effectiveness, and operations/service and facility efficiency, including making AYP at all division schools, increasing college-bound graduates, flexible staff development, increasing energy efficiency, and creating “green” schools.
Current School Board Members
|Mr. Gerald Watts, Vice Chairman||District A|
|Mr. Bill Devin||District B|
|Mr. T. E. Locke, Chairman||District C|
|Mr. Barry Mason||District D|
|Mr. Henry Carwile||District E|
|Mrs. Kimberly Pillow||District F|
|Mrs. Angela Pulliam-Jones||District G|
The current division superintendent is Mrs. Melody Hackney.
The Virginia Public School System is supervised by a Board of Education, comprised of nine members appointed by the Governor and approved by the Virginia General Assembly. Members serve staggered four-year terms.
The Board of Education is responsible for dividing the Commonwealth of Virginia into school divisions and reviewing existing divisions to ensure standards of quality are being met. The Board makes annual reports to the General Assembly regarding public education in the Commonwealth and is further charged with certifying to the school board of each division a list of persons for the office of division superintendent of schools, one of whom the school board ultimately selects to fill the position. The Board also approves all educational materials used in the public schools. Supervision of school divisions is conducted by individual school boards.
Current Board of Education Members
|Eleanor B. Saslaw, President||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|Dr. Ella P. Ward, Vice President||2nd||January 29, 2011|
|Elizabeth D. Beamer||1st||January 29, 2014|
|Dr. Billy K. Cannaday, Jr.||1st||June 30, 2011|
|Isis M. Castro||2nd||January 29, 2012|
|David M. Foster||1st||January 29, 2014|
|David L. Johnson||2nd||June 30, 2011|
|K. Rob Krupicka||1st||January 29, 2013|
|Dr. Virginia L. McLaughlin||1st||January 29, 2013|
For 2009-2010, operating expenditures for Charlotte County Public Schools total $$26,949,970.83, $12,743,187.00 of which is dedicated to instruction costs. This total includes $925,757.00 in federal stimulus funds, $14,355,398.00 in state and sales tax revenue, $1,511,146.00 in federal revenue, and $3,514,583.00 in local operation funds.
The Commonwealth of Virginia assesses schools based on Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and other statewide assessments; schools receive two accountability ratings a year based on student performance on these assessments. SOL tests assess student performance in English, math, science and history. Ratings are also given based on school and school division adherence to the goals of the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), which requires 100 percent proficiency in reading and mathematics by 2014.
School's state accreditation is based on performance in English, history, mathematics and science.
Schools and school divisions, as well as the State, are rated as achieving Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) if they meet or exceed annual benchmarks in reading and mathematics.
The Virginia Department of Education School Division Report Card reports Charlotte County Public Schools as having a student population of 2,198 and 7 schools in the division.
Charlotte County Public School Division made AYP for the 2009-2010 school year.
|School||Grade||Enrollment|| Made Adequate Yearly
Progress for 2009?
|Bacon District Elementary||Pre-K - 5||206||Yes|
|Central Middle||6 - 8||489||Yes|
|Early Learning Center||Pre-K||78||Yes|
|Eureka Elementary||Pre-K – 5||439||Yes|
|J. Murray Jeffress Elementary||3 - 5||133||Yes|
|Phenix Elementary||Pre-K - 2||150||Yes|
|Randolph Henry High||9 - 12||703||Yes|
- Charlotte County Public Schools Official Website
- Virginia Department of Education official website
- Official Website of the Commonwealth of Virgina
- Virginia Education Association Official Website
- ‘Charlotte County Public Schools’, Official Website – District News, June 22, 2010
- ‘Charlotte County Public Schools’, Board Minutes, June 22, 2010
- ‘Charlotte County Public Schools’, Administration, June 22, 2010
- ‘Charlotte County Public Schools’, School Success, June 22, 2010
- ‘Charlotte County Public Schools’, Test Information, June 22, 2010
- ‘Charlotte County Public Schools’, Policy Manual, June 22, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Virginia State Contracts, June 10, 2010
- ‘Charlotte County Public Schools’, Contact Us, June 22, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', Education Workforce Data & Reports, June 10, 2010
- ‘Charlotte County Public Schools’, School Board Members, June 22, 2010
- ‘Charlotte County Public Schools’, Board Goals, June 22, 2010
- 'Legislative Information System', Constitution of Virginia, June 10, 2010
- 'State Board of Education', Board Members, June 10, 2010
- 'Virginia Department of Education', School Report Card Accountability Guide, June 14, 2010
- ‘Virginia Department of Education’, Charlotte County Public Schools, June 22, 2010
- 'Virginia Education Association', June 10, 2010
- 'National Education Association', June 10, 2010