Cherry Creek School District, Colorado
|Cherry Creek School District|
|Greenwood Village, Colorado|
|Superintendent:||Harry Bull, Jr.|
|Number of schools:||61|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Randy Perlis|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Cherry Creek School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Contact information
- 9 Website evaluation
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the districtArapahoe County, Colorado. The county seat of Arapahoe County is Littleton, Colorado. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Arapahoe County is home to 595,546 residents.
Arapahoe County outperformed the rest of Colorado in terms of its average household income, poverty rate and higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Arapahoe County is $59,937 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Arapahoe County is 11.9% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The U.S. Census also found that 38.3% of Arapahoe County residents aged 25 years and older attained a bachelor's degree compared to 36.3% in Colorado as a whole.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current Superintendent of Cherry Creek School District is Harry Bull, Jr. He has served in the position since his appointment in July 2013. Bull has worked as a teacher and administrator in the district since 1984.
The Cherry Creek School District Board of Education consists of five members who are elected at-large to four-year terms. Members do not receive compensation for their service on the board.
|Cherry Creek School District Board of Education|
|Member||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Education are elected to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Two seats on the board were up for election on November 5, 2013 and three seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Public participation in board meetings
The Cherry Creek School District Board of Education maintains the following policy on public testimony during board meetings:
|“||Adoption of new policies or the revision or repeal of existing policies is solely the responsibility of the Board of Education.
In general, a proposal shall be presented as an information item at a regular meeting and presented for discussion and vote at the next regular meeting.
During discussion of a policy proposal, the views of the public and staff shall be considered. Amendments may be proposed by Board members. An amendment shall not require that the policy go through an additional reading except as the Board determines that the amendment needs further study and that an additional reading would be desirable.
Cherry Creek Schools publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teacher salaries at Cherry Creek School District are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a Bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate degrees. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule negotiated between the district and teachers for 2012-2013:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
Teachers in Cherry Creek School District are represented during contract negotiations by the Cherry Creek Education Association (CCEA). The current President of CCEA is Sheryl Cunningham.
Schools in Cherry Creek School District
The district served 53,368 K-12 students during the 2012-2013 school year. The district experienced a 4.4% increase in enrollment between 2008 and 2012. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2008 and 2012:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Cherry Creek School District operates 61 K-12 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Cherry Creek School District|
|Antelope Ridge Elementary Schools|
|Arrowhead Elementary School|
|Aspen Crossing Elementary School|
|Belleview Elementary School|
|Black Forest Hills Elementary School|
|Buffalo Trail Elementary School|
|Campus Middle School|
|Canyon Creek Elementary School|
|Cherokee Trail High School|
|Cherry Creek Academy|
|Cherry Creek High School|
|Cherry Hills Village Elementary School|
|Cimarron Elementary School|
|Cottonwood Creek Elementary School|
|Coyote Hills Elementary School|
|Creekside Elementary School|
|Dakota Valley Elementary School|
|Dry Creek Elementary School|
|Eaglecrest High School|
|Eastridge Elementary School|
|Falcon Creek Middle School|
|Fox Hollow Elementary School|
|Fox Ridge Middle School|
|Grandview High School|
|Greenwood Elementary School|
|Heritage Elementary School|
|High Plains Elementary School|
|Highline Community Elementary School|
|Holly Hills Elementary School|
|Holly Ridge Elementary School|
|Homestead Elementary School|
|Horizon Middle School|
|Independence Elementary School|
|Indian Ridge Elementary School|
|Laredo Middle School|
|Liberty Middle School|
|Meadow Point Elementary School|
|Mission Viejo Elementary School|
|Overland High School/Institute of Science & Technology|
|Peakview Elementary School|
|Pine Ridge Elementary School|
|Polton Elementary School|
|Ponderosa Elementary School|
|Prairie Middle School/Institute of Science & Technology|
|Red Hawk Ridge Elementary School|
|Rolling Hills Elementary School|
|Sagebrush Elementary School|
|Sky Vista Middle School|
|Smoky Hill High School|
|Summit Elementary School|
|Sunrise Elementary School|
|Thunder Ridge Middle School|
|Timberline Elementary School|
|Trails West Elementary School|
|Village East Elementary School|
|Walnut Hills Elementary School|
|West Middle School|
|Willow Creek Elementary School|
Colorado Student Assessment Program
The Colorado Student Assessment Program (CSAP) is Colorado’s standards-based assessment designed to provide a picture of student performance to schools, districts, educators, parents and the community. The primary purpose of the assessment program is to determine the level at which Colorado students meet the Colorado Model Content Standards in the content areas assessed. The CSAP is collaboratively developed by the Colorado Department of Education, the Colorado teaching community and CTB/McGraw-Hill. The data is used to keep abreast of individual student, school and district progress toward attaining higher student achievement levels. The fact that CSAP is based on the Colorado Model Content Standards ensures that all districts are held to the same standards expected for students regardless of whether they live in urban, suburban or rural areas.
Three-year performance trends
The following table details the performance of Cherry Creek School District students for years 2012-2013, 2011-2012 and 2010-2011:
|District CSAP scores|
|Performance Indicators||Rating||% Earned|
|Academic Growth Gaps||Meets||63.3|
|Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness||Meets||73.4|
What do the performance indicators measure?
- Academic Achievement: The Achievement Indicator reflects how a district's students are doing at meeting the state's proficiency goal: the percentage of students proficient or advanced on Colorado's standardized assessments. This indicator includes results from CSAP, CSAPA (Reading, Writing, Math and Science), Lectura and Escritura.
- Academic Growth: The Growth Indicator measures academic progress using the Colorado Growth Model. This indicator reflects:
- Normative growth: How the academic progress of the students in this district compared to that of other students statewide with a similar CSAP score.
- Adequate growth: Whether this level of growth was sufficient for the typical (median) student in this district to reach an achievement level of proficient or advanced on the CSAP within three years or by 10th grade, whichever comes first.
- Academic Growth Gaps: The Gaps Indicator measures the academic progress of historically disadvantaged student subgroups. It disaggregates the Growth Indicator into student subgroups, and reflects their normative and adequate growth. The subgroups include students eligible for free or reduced lunch, minority students, students with disabilities (IEP status), English Language Learners and students needing to catch up.
- Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness: The Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness Indicator measures the preparedness of students for college or jobs upon completing high school. This indicator reflects student graduation rates, dropout rates and average Colorado ACT composite scores.
|Transparency grading process|
- Taxes and Mill Levies are detailed in the school district's budget.
- Budgets are posted online.
- School Board meetings, agendas, and minutes are available.
- Comprehensive annual financial reports are posted online.
- Links to CSAP data are posted on the website.
- Names and short bios for school board members are available. However, there is only one email for the entire board. Direct contact information is not available for each member.
- A phone number is listed for the office of the superintendent. However, no direct contact information is available for any of the other administrative officials.
- Contracts and bids over $10,000 are not listed.
- Contact information for the Public Records officer is not available.
- Information on required background checks is not a part of the district website.
- Cherry Creek School District
- Arapahoe County
- Colorado Department of Education
- Colorado Association of School Boards
- Cherry Creek Education Association
- Colorado Department of Education, "Pupil Membership for 2012-2013," accessed January 13, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Arapahoe County, Colorado," accessed October 4, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, "Total Registered Voters By Party Affiliation and Status," accessed October 4, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Cherry Creek School District, "Assistant Superintendent Harry Bull named next superintendent," accessed January 13, 2014
- Cherry Creek School District, "Board Member Development Opportunities, Expenses, Insurance, Liability," January 12, 1998
- Cherry Creek School District, "School Board Policy Process, Adoption," July 1, 2005
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Cherry Creek School District, "2013-14 Financial Plan & Budgets," accessed December 4, 2013
- Cherry Creek School District, "Revised Licensed Salary Schedule," accessed January 13, 2014
- Cherry Creek Education Association, "Officers/Representatives," accessed January 13, 2014
- Cherry Creek School District, "Our Schools," accessed January 13, 2014
- Colorado Department of Education, "About CSAP" accessed July 15, 2013
- Colorado Department of Education, "District Performance Framework 2013," accessed January 13, 2014
- Cherry Creek School District, "Financial Plan: Budget for Fiscal Year: July 1, 2011 - June 30, 2012," accessed January 13, 2014
- Cherry Creek School District, "2013-2014 Financial Plan & Budgets," accessed January 13, 2014
- Cherry Creek School District, "Board Meeting Agendas and Minutes," accessed January 13, 2014
- Cherry Creek School District, "Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports," accessed January 14, 2013
- Cherry Creek School District, "Assessments in Cherry Creek Schools," accessed January 13, 2014
- Cherry Creek School District, "Board Members," accessed January 13, 2014
- Cherry Creek School District, "Office of the Superintendent," accessed January 13, 2014