was a Democratic
candidate for District 51
of the Oregon House of Representatives
. The primary election
was on May 18, 2010, and the general election was on November 2, 2010
- See also: Oregon House of Representatives elections, 2010
Myers was defeated in the November 2 general election by Patrick Sheehan (R).
Myers' campaign website lists three main issues with several policy proposals:
- Economy: "Government needs to change its approach and start helping small businesses instead of big banks and out-of-state corporations. Local employers are the ones who drive our local economy and create the jobs that support local families."
- 1. "Invest in tomorrow’s renewable energy technology to create good-paying jobs today."
- 2. "Offer grants and low-interest loans for small business that increase hiring and payrolls."
- 3. "Require high performance standards to make sure taxpayer dollars are delivering the jobs – and the results – they’re supposed to."
- 4. "Ban the deceptive financial practices that contributed to the recession."
- Healthcare: "Cheryl Myers supports providing small businesses with a wider range of affordable health insurance options. She also supports funding for in-home care, adult foster care, and assisted living to help seniors live independently as long as possible."
- Strengthening Schools: "It’s getting tougher and tougher to find good jobs out there and our kids are going to need the right tools to build bright futures for themselves and their own families. Businesses everywhere recognize the value of the right investment in our future workforce; strong educational opportunities are critical to our future."
- 1. "Give more children the opportunity to start their educations off right with Head Start and early childhood education."
- 2. "Reduce class sizes to increase student performance."
- 3. "Make sure students are engaged, inspired, and ready for their next steps."
- 4. "Provide vocational and technical training, mentors, and apprenticeships for young people who may not choose the college-bound path."
- 5. "Make Oregon Opportunity Grants available to all students who need help paying for college."