|Mayor:||Alan P. Krasnoff|
|Last mayoral election:||2012|
|Next mayoral election:||2016|
|Last city council election:||2012|
|Next city council election:||2014|
|City council seats:||9|
|2014-15 FY Budget:||$923,737,157|
|Population in 2013:||230,571|
Hispanic or Latino 5.0%
African American 30.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone 0.5%
Two or More 3.1%
|Median household income:||$70,244|
|High school graduation rate:||89.6%|
|College graduation rate:||28.4%|
|Related Chesapeake offices|
|Virginia Congressional Delegation|
Virginia State Legislature
Virginia state executive offices
The city of Chesapeake utilizes a council-manager system. In this form of municipal government, an elected city council, which includes the mayor and serves as the city's primary legislative body, appoints a chief executive called a city manager. The responsibilities of the city manager include overseeing the city's day-to-day operations, planning and implementing the city's operating budget, carrying out council policies and hiring most city government employees.
The Chesapeake City Council is the city's primary legislative body. It is responsible for approving and adopting the city budget, levying taxes and making or amending city laws, policies and ordinances.
The city council consists of nine members including the mayor. All are elected at-large.
A full list of city council members can be found here.
Commissions, boards and committees
A series of advisory boards and commissions that are made up of non-elected citizens, whom city council members have appointed and approved, advises the Chesapeake City Council. The roles of these boards and commissions are to review, debate and comment upon city policies and legislation and to make recommendations to the city council.
For a full list of Chesapeake's commissions, boards and committees, see here.
The city of Chesapeake, Virginia held elections for city council on May 6, 2014. Five of the eight council seats were up for election. Elections are held every two years on the first Tuesday in May to fill expiring terms.
Chesapeake's approved operating budget for fiscal year 2014-15 was $923,737,157.
306 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, VA 23322
Phone: (757) 382-6151
See here to contact individual council members.
As of August 2014, the city of Chesapeake does have a local initiative process. For more information, see Laws governing ballot measures in Virginia and Laws governing local ballot measures in Virginia.
In 2013, Chesapeake spent a total of $138,000 on federal lobbying. The city filed three reports for Federal Budget and Appropriations and one report for Transportation.
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia county websites
|Transparency grading process|
This website was reviewed on December 2, 2011.
- City council members are listed with term expirations and contact information.
- Meeting agendas and minutes are posted.
- The city outlines its lobbying goals.
- The city provides information on federal stimulus funds it has received.
- Audits are posted.
- Budgets are posted.
- Zoning information is posted, and building permits are available.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports are posted.
- Bid opportunities are posted, along with contract awards.
- Administrative contacts are listed in departmental pages.
- Local tax rates are posted.
- The city does not disclose the amount spent on Taxpayer-funded lobbying.
- The city briefly describes the Virginia Freedom of Information Act but does not provide information on how to make public records requests, nor does it provide a form or contact for doing so.
- U.S. Census, "State and County Quick Facts," accessed August 28, 2014
- City of Chesapeake, "Plan of Government," accessed on August 26, 2014
- City of Chesapeake, "Boards," accessed on August 26, 2014
- City of Chesapeake, Virginia, "Council and Mayoral Elections," accessed April 28, 2014
- City of Chesapeake, "Election Information," accessed May 5, 2014
- City of Chesapeake, "Official candidate list," accessed May 5, 2014
- City of Chesapeake, "Operating Budget for Fiscal Year Beginning July 1, 2014," accessed on August 28, 2014
- Opensecrets.org, "City of Chesapeake," accessed on August 28, 2014
- City of Chesapeake, "City Council Members," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Council Meetings," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Legislative Package," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Recovery and Reinvestment Act," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Annual Reports," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Budget Department," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Zoning Administration," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Building Permits and Inspections," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "CAFR," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Solicitations," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Recent Contract Awards," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Local Tax Rates," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "Real Estate Taxes," accessed December 2, 2011
- City of Chesapeake, "FOIA," accessed December 2, 2011