Chesapeake Public Schools elections (2014)
|General Election date:|
Method of election
Chesapeake Public Schools
Local ballot measures, Virginia
Five seats on the Chesapeake School Board were up for general election on May 6, 2014. Incumbents Christie Craig, Harry A. Murphy and Michael J. Woods as well as challengers Colleen C. Leary and Louis J. Tayon, Jr. defeated five challengers. Board members Bonita Billingsley Harris and Ann R. Wiggins did not file for re-election by the March 4, 2014 deadline.
About the district
- See also: Chesapeake Public Schools, Virginia
Chesapeake underperformed in comparison to the rest of Virginia in terms of higher education achievement in 2010. The United States Census Bureau found that 28.4 percent of Chesapeake residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 34.7 percent for Virginia as a whole. The median household income in Chesapeake was $70,244 compared to $63,636 for the state of Virginia. The poverty rate in Chesapeake was 8.3 percent compared to 11.1 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Method of board member selection
The Chesapeake School Board consists of nine at-large members elected to four-year terms. There was no primary election and a general election was held on May 6, 2014. Four seats will be on the ballot in 2016.
Candidates filed declarations of candidacy with the Chesapeake Voter Registrar by March 4, 2014. A candidate must be a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years old, a resident of Virginia for at least one year and a current district resident. State law requires voters to present government-issued identification, student ID cards or a current bill with address at the ballot location.
- Michael David Brown
- Graduate, Old Dominion University
- Sergeant, Chesapeake Police Department
- Wilford A. Clark, Jr.
- Retired federal employee
- Christie Craig
- Chief of staff, State Senator John Cosgrove
- CEO, Christie's Catering
- Kimberly S. Hobbs
- Retired assistant principal, Virginia Beach City Public Schools, Virginia
- Brenda J. Johnson
- School board member, 2004-2012
- Colleen C. Leary
- Retired principal
- Director of children's ministry, River Oak Church
- Harry A. Murphy
- Graduate, U.S. Naval Academy and Old Dominion University
- Owner, A. Murphy Fence Company
- Retired, U.S. Navy
- Les Smith, Jr.
- Graduate, St. Paul's College and University of Richmond
- Retired deputy, Chesapeake Sheriff's Department
- Louis J. Tayon, Jr.
- Graduate, Old Dominion University and Nova Southwestern University
- Retired deputy police chief
- Veteran, U.S. Army
- Michael J. Woods
- Graduate, St. Leo College and University of Dayton
- Trial attorney, Law Offices of Michael J. Woods P.C.
|Chesapeake Public Schools, At-Large General Election, 4-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Christie Craig Incumbent||12.3%||8,275|
|Nonpartisan||Colleen C. Leary||12.3%||8,261|
|Nonpartisan||Harry A. Murphy Incumbent||11.4%||7,698|
|Nonpartisan||Michael J. Woods Incumbent||11%||7,388|
|Nonpartisan||Louis J. Tayon, Jr.||10%||6,748|
|Nonpartisan||Brenda J. Johnson||10%||6,716|
|Nonpartisan||Les Smith, Jr.||9.7%||6,543|
|Nonpartisan||Kimberly S. Hobbs||8.2%||5,525|
|Nonpartisan||Michael David Brown||7.7%||5,188|
|Nonpartisan||Wilford A. Clark, Jr.||7.3%||4,892|
|Source: Virginia State Board of Elections, "Official Results - General and Special Elections - May 6, 2014," May 6, 2014|
The Chesapeake Democratic Committee endorsed Michael David Brown, Wilford A. Clark, Jr., Kimberly S. Hobbs, Les Smith, Jr. and Brenda J. Johnson on March 14, 2014. The Republican Party of Chesapeake endorsed Christie Craig, Harry A. Murphy, Michael J. Woods, Colleen C. Leary and Louis J. Tayon, Jr.. The Virginian-Pilot endorsed Wilford A. Clark, Jr., Christie Craig, Colleen C. Leary, Harry A. Murphy and Les Smith, Jr. ahead of the May 6, 2014 election.
Candidates received a total of $25,112.55 and spent a total of $16,471.93, according to the Virginia State Board of Elections.
|Candidate||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
|Michael David Brown||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|Wilford A. Clark, Jr.||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|Kimberly S. Hobbs||$5,375.83||$3,723.03||$1,652.80|
|Brenda J. Johnson||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|Colleen C. Leary||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|Harry A. Murphy||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|Les Smith, Jr.||$6,400.72||$5,773.44||$627.28|
|Louis J. Tayon, Jr.||$13,336.00||$6,975.46||$6,360.54|
|Michael J. Woods||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|March 4, 2014||Last day to file paperwork for ballot placement|
|April 14, 2014||Last day to register to vote for the May election|
|April 15, 2014||First campaign finance reporting deadline before election|
|April 28, 2014||Last campaign finance reporting deadline before election|
|May 6, 2014||Election day|
|June 16, 2014||Filing deadline for post-election campaign finance reporting|
Additional elections on the ballot
The school board election shared the ballot with races for five seats on the Chesapeake City Council.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Chesapeake + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Chesapeake Public Schools, Virginia
- Virginia school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- Chesapeake, Virginia
- Local ballot measures, Virginia
- 90 candidates seek 38 seats in first round of May school board elections
- Incumbents falter in early May elections, governing majority shifts in Buffalo
- United States Census Bureau, "Chesapeake, Virginia," accessed February 11, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed May 1, 2014
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Election Results," accessed February 11, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- City of Chesapeake, "Election Information," accessed March 5, 2014
- City of Chesapeake, "Identification Requirements," accessed March 5, 2014
- The Virginian-Pilot, "Chesapeake Democrats announce endorsements," March 14, 2014
- The Virginian-Pilot, "Best bets in Chesapeake | City Council and School Board," April 27, 2014
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Reporting," accessed April 22, 2014
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Campaign Finance Report for Candidates," January 1, 2014
|2014 Chesapeake Public Schools Elections|
|Election date:||May 6, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Michael David Brown • Wilford A. Clark, Jr. • Christie Craig • Kimberly S. Hobbs • Brenda J. Johnson • Colleen C. Leary • Harry A. Murphy • Les Smith, Jr. • Louis J. Tayon, Jr. • Michael J. Woods|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|