Chico Municipal Elections in June Charter Amendment, Measure A (June 2011)
If Measure A had been approved, Chico's general municipal elections would have henceforth taken place in June of each even-numbered year, rather than in November of even-numbered years.
- Election results from the Butte County elections office as of 11:00 p.m. on June 7, 2011.
Supporters of Measure A included:
- Stephanie Taber was a lead supporter of Measure A. She said that shifting the election date to June from November would allow voters to give more attention to the local races which, she said, when held in November tend to be overshadowed by national and state races.
- Thomas Dauterman, owner of Thomas Welding and Machine in Chico, supported Measure A, and was a lead financial supporter of the effort. In 2010, he contributed $31,500 to the effort to qualify the measure for the ballot. In 2011, the campaign spent close to $50,000, the majority of which came from Dauterman, on campaign mailers. Dauterman said, ""I believe in it. I think it is important for the future of the community."
- Ryan Fedrizzi, president of the Chico State Republicans.
Opponents of Measure A included:
- Andy Holcombe, a member of the Chico City Council. He said that historically, fewer people vote in June elections than in November elections, adding, "Voting is the cornerstone of democracy. Why do proponents want to chip away at this?"
- Brian Ray, president of the Chico State Student Democratic Club.
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Measure A: Shall Section 500 of the City Charter, which now provides that general municipal elections shall take place in November of each even-numbered year, be amended to provide that general municipal elections shall, instead, take place in June of each even-numbered year.|
Path to the ballot
6,623 signatures were required to qualify Measure A for the ballot. On January 14, 2011, supporters of Measure A submitted 8,002 signatures to the Chico City Clerk.
|state ballot measure article is a stub. You can help people learn by expanding it.|
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found