Chino Valley Unified School District elections (2014)
Method of election
Chino Valley Unified School District
San Bernardino County, California ballot measures
Local ballot measures, California
Two seats on the Chino Valley Unified School District Board of Education were up for general election on November 4, 2014. Sylvia Orozco was the only incumbent running for re-election. She faced challengers Roman G. Nava, Pamela S. Feix, Brandon Blanchard and Josh Lee.
Incumbent Orozco and newcomer Feix won the two seats in the general election.
About the district
Chino Valley Unified School District is located in San Bernardino County, California. The county seat of San Bernardino County is San Bernardino. San Bernardino County was home to 2,088,371 residents in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Chino Valley Unified School District was the 28th-largest school district by enrollment in California and served 31,313 students.
San Bernardino County underperformed compared to the rest of California in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 18.6 percent of San Bernardino County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.5 percent for California as a whole. The median household income for San Bernardino County was $54,750 compared to $61,400 for the entire state. The percentage of people below poverty level for San Bernardino County was 17.6 percent while it was 15.3 percent statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
Method of board member selection
The Chino Valley Unified School District Board of Education consists of five members elected at-large to four-year terms. There was no primary election, and the general election was held on November 4, 2014. Two seats were up for election in 2014, and three seats will be up for election in 2016.
School board candidates had to file with their county elections department during the candidate filing period. The filing period began July 14, 2014, and ended August 8, 2014. To vote in the 2014 general election, voters had to register by October 20, 2014. Voters could request vote-by-mail ballots from October 6, 2014, through October 28, 2014.
- Sylvia Orozco
- Graduate, California State University at Fullerton
- Business owner
- Brandon Blanchard
- Pamela S. Feix
- Josh Lee
- Roman G. Nava
|Chino Valley Unified School District, At-Large General Election, 4-year term, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Sylvia Orozco Incumbent||27.1%||11,341|
|Nonpartisan||Pamela S. Feix||24%||10,032|
|Nonpartisan||Roman G. Nava||14%||5,828|
|Source: San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "Final Official Election Night Results," accessed December 22, 2014|
The San Bernardino County Republican Party endorsed incumbent Sylvia Orozco and challenger Roman G. Nava, whereas the San Bernardino County Democratic Party endorsed challenger Pamela S. Feix. The union Associated Chino Teachers also endorsed Feix, as well as her fellow challenger Brandon Blanchard. Blanchard and Orozco were further endorsed by the Classified School Employees Association, Chino Chapter.
Chino Valley Unified Board of Education member James Na and former member Charles Dickie endorsed Orozco and Blanchard. Na additionally endorsed challenger Josh Lee. Orozco was also endorsed by board member Andrew Cruz.
Nava also received endorsements from the following organizations and state officials:
- Grow Elect
- Inland Empire Taxpayers Association
- Congressman Gary Miller (R)
- Congressman Ed Royce (R)
- State Senator Bob Huff (R)
- Assemblyman Curt Hagman (R)
Candidates had to file contribution reports within 24 hours of receiving an aggregate total of $1,000 or more from a single source. The first scheduled pre-election report filing deadline was October 6, 2014. If candidates raised or spent less than $1,000 during the 2013 and 2014 calendar years, they had to file Form 470 at that time. If candidates raised or spent more during that time, they had to file Form 460 by the pre-election report filing deadline.
Candidates required to file Form 460 also had to file a second pre-election report on October 23, 2014, and they had to file termination reports by December 31, 2014. If a termination report was not filed, candidates had to file a semi-annual report by February 2, 2015.
Candidates received a total of $50,095.00 in contributions and spent a total of $29,166.26 in expenditures, according to the most recent campaign disclosure reports published by the San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters as of October 31, 2014.
|Candidate||Existing balance||Contributions||Expenditures||Cash on hand|
|Pamela S. Feix||N/A||$1,768.00||$104.35||$1,663.65|
|Roman G. Nava||$2,676.01||$10,265.00||$9,592.89||$3,348.12|
Information about earlier elections can be found by clicking [show] at the right.
|July 14, 2014||First day for candidates to file nomination documents|
|August 8, 2014||Last day for candidates to file nomination documents|
|October 6, 2014||First day to request vote-by-mail ballot|
|October 6, 2014||First pre-election report due|
|October 20, 2014||Last day to register to vote|
|October 23, 2014||Second pre-election report due|
|October 28, 2014||Last day to request vote-by-mail ballot|
|November 4, 2014||Election Day|
|December 31, 2014||Termination report due|
|February 2, 2015||Semi-annual report due|
Additional elections on the ballot
- See also: California elections, 2014
This election shared the ballot with general elections for five U.S. House seats, several state executive offices, two state Senate seats and eight state Assembly seats, as well as judicial, municipal and other school board elections.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Chino + Valley + Unified + School + District + California"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Chino Valley Unified School District, California
- California school board elections, 2014
- List of school board elections in 2014
- School board elections, 2014
- San Bernardino County, California ballot measures
- California ballot measures
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "Elected Officials," accessed July 15, 2014
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "2014 Statewide General Election Candidate List," accessed August 18, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "San Bernardino County, California," accessed July 14, 2014
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "Past Election Archives," accessed July 14, 2014
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "Past Elections: 2007-1996," accessed July 14, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- California Secretary of State, "Summary of November 4, 2014, General Election Calendar," accessed July 14, 2014
- San Bernardino County Republican Party, "Voter Guide," accessed October 31, 2014
- San Bernardino County Democratic Party, "OFFICIALLY ENDORSED LOCAL DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES & MEASURES for NOVEMBER 4, 2014 GENERAL ELECTION," accessed October 31, 2014
- Champion Newspapers, "Four enter race for school board," June 21, 2014
- Re-elect Sylvia Orozco, "Endorsements," accessed October 31, 2014
- Blanchard 4 CVUSD, "Endorsements," accessed October 31, 2014 (dead link)
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "Viewing filings made by Josh Lee for School Board Member 2014," accessed October 31, 2014
- Leadership for our Children's Future, "Platform & Endorsements," accessed October 31, 2014
- Fair Political Practices Commission, "Filing Schedule for Candidates and Controlled Committees for Local Office Being Voted on November 4, 2014," accessed August 19, 2014
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "Viewing filing activity for Orozco, Sylvia," accessed October 31, 2014
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "Viewing filing activity for Blanchard, Brandon," accessed October 31, 2014
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "Viewing filing activity for Feix, Pamela," accessed October 31, 2014
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "Viewing filing activity for Nava, Roman," accessed October 31, 2014
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "2014 Statewide General Election," accessed July 14, 2014
- San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters, "2014 Statewide General Election: November 4, 2014," accessed July 14, 2014 (dead link)
|2014 Chino Valley Unified School District Elections|
|San Bernardino County, California|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Incumbent, Sylvia Orozco • Brandon Blanchard • Pamela S. Feix • Josh Lee • Roman G. Nava|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|