Chip McCallum, III
|Charles A. "Chip" McCallum, III|
Alabama House of Representatives, District 47
|Website||website (timed out)|
- 1 Education
- 2 Professional Experience
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Controversies
- 6 Community Service and Involvement
- 7 Personal
- 8 Contact information
- 9 External links
- 10 References
- B.A., Accounting, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, class of 1983.
- Juris Doctorate, Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, class of 1986.
- Partner, McCallum Hoaglund Cook Irby Law, 2001-present.
- Co-founder and director, SouthCity Bank.
- Partner, Cambell, Waller & McCallum, 1996-2001.
- Attorney, Haskell, Slaughter & Young, 1986-1996.
- Supports report card rating systems for all government agencies.
- Supports the proposed Education Trust Fund Rolling Reserve Bill.
- Opposes any raises in taxes.
- Supports making every vote of the legislature on the record in real-time and online.
- Supports listing all tax dollar allocations online.
- Supports authentic income disclosures by all legislators.
- Supports ethics reform by supporting subpoena power for the ethics commission.
- Opposes accepting any PAC money for his campaign.
- Supports performance-based budgeting.
- Supports Greg Canfield's Education Trust Rolling Reserve Bill to, "dramatically change how our state budgets educational funds and creates reserves for down economic times... [to] be used for planning purposes."
Sustainable economic development
- Supports the 31/47 Initiative of One Vestavia, as well as their efforts to secure funding for re-development of the area.
- Supports a regional partnership between Vestavia Hills and Hoover.
- Opposes government intervention in private business.
- Supports frees market and free enterprise.
- Supports health care for every citizen.
- Opposes Obama's health care reform.
- Supports strengthening the existing private system by keeping costs down and increasing access.
Sustainable fuel use and the environment
- Supports oil independence.
- Supports holding BP accountable.
- Supports alternative energy development.
- Opposes cap-and-trade legislation.
- Supports, "preserving green spaces in our communities."
- Supports legal immigration.
- Opposes illegal immigration.
- Opposes amnesty.
- Supports strengthening borders.
- Supports an employment verification system that holds companies accountable.
- Supports gun rights.
- Supports capital punishment, "in cases where it is justified."
- Supports parental consent and notification requirements.
- Opposes partial-birth abortion.
- Supports adoption as an alternative.
- Supports, "evidence-based, teen pregnancy prevention efforts."
- Opposes same-sex marriage.
- Supports right to vote on regulation and legalization, should the proposition be completely transparent and include an oversight commission whose members have no conflicts of interest or history of one.
- Supports reforms to build, "a modern framework that will enable Alabama to reach its fullest potential to all its citizens...[and] move our state forward."
|Alabama House of Representatives, District 47 General Election (2010)|
|Jack Williams (R)||8,735|
|Chip McCallum, III (I)||5,527|
On April 3, 2010, the Republican Party executive committee disqualified McCallum as a candidate for the House District 47 seat, citing his donations to Democratic candidates and "long-standing support of Democratic candidates."
McCallum, now an independent candidate, said, "I've given to candidates from both parties for years and I've made no secret about it. I'm nonpartisan and will continue to be nonpartisan."
The candidates McCallum donated to include John Edwards, John Kerry, Al Gore and Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb.
"You would be hard-pressed," McCallum said, "to find a lawyer that does any kind of civil litigation work like I do that has not given contributions to candidates of both parties."
Community Service and Involvement
- Member, Vestavia Hills Long Range Planning Committee
- Board member, Vestavia Hills City Schools Foundation.
- Board member, Laps for CF Foundation
Board member, Men's Committee of the Birmingham Heart Ball.
- Coach, youth baseball, basketball and soccer.
Vestavia Hills Chamber of Commerce
- President, 2006
- Executive vice president, 2005
- Board of directors, 2002-2008
- Legal counsel, 2001-2004"
McCallum and his wife, Lynne, live in Vestavia Hills. They have two children- Courtney, 19, and Alex, 21."
His father, Charles A. "Scotty" McCallum, is a former two-term mayor of Vestavia Hills.
2062 Columbiana Road
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
McCallum 2010 Campaign
732 Montgomery Hwy., PMB 232
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216
Phone: (205) 637-6288
- Campaign website
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Independent general election candidate list
- Chip McCallum's Twitter Account
- MHCI Law
- SouthCity Bank
- McCallum Hoaglund Cook Irby Law
- Campaign site for Chip McCallum III
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Charles "Chip" McCallum to run as independent for Alabama House District 47"
- "Republican executive committee disqualifies Charles 'Chip' McCallum III in House race"
- "Don't count Chip McCallum out of the Alabama House District 47 race just yet"