Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 73|
|January 1, 2015 - present|
|December 31, 2016|
|Years in position||0|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|Term limits||3 terms|
Afendoulis' website highlighted the following campaign themes:
Job Creation and Economic Growth
- Excerpt: "Job creation is the number one priority for our State. The State needs to create an atmosphere which allows old and new businesses to flourish. This can be done with stable tax rates and reducing over burdensome regulations as well as the overall cost of doing business. This is imperative for the State."
Roads and Infrastructure
- Excerpt: "To have a vibrant economy, the state needs world class transportation infrastructure. In the short term, road funding should be one of the first priorities of any budget surpluses. The next step should be to find savings in other areas of the budget to further repair our aging infrastructure. As Federal mandates continue to increase gas mileage standards, gas tax revenue will continue to decline. Simply raising gasoline taxes will not be the answer to fixing and maintaining our roads and bridges. A long term solution needs to be developed with the input of taxpayers, road construction experts and government officials."
Efficient and Effective Government
- Excerpt: "As a CPA who spent 24 years in private industry, I firmly believe that there are always opportunities to reduce the cost of doing business. Government should be no different. The State needs to reduce the overall cost of government by evaluating programs for effectiveness and always working to lower the cost of delivering services. I have seen this first hand in my own Township, where we balance our budget, have no debt and have not raised taxes in 19 years while we continue to provide and improve upon the services our residents need."
- Excerpt: "Under the State Constitution we are mandated to provide an education for our citizens. In all the decisions made around fulfilling this mandate, we must remember that the first priority is to do what is best for the children of the State. If all stakeholders approach education in this manner, we will continue to improve the outcomes for our children with educational choice and transparency."
Elections for the office of Michigan House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election was held on August 5, 2014, and a general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was April 22, 2014. Mary Polonowski was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Chris Afendoulis defeated six other challengers in the Republican primary. Afendoulis defeated Polonowski in the general election.
|Michigan House of Representatives, District 73 General Election, 2014|
In 2014, Afendoulis' endorsements included the following:
- Right to Life of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce PAC
- Detroit Regional Chamber PAC
- Grand Rapids Association of REALTORS
- Great Lakes Education Project
- Commercial Alliance of REALTORS
- Kent County Law Enforcement Association PAC
- Michigan Townships Association PAC
- Small Business Association of Michigan Approved - "Friend of Small Business"
- State Representative Lisa Posthumus Lyons, 86th District
- Hank Fuhs, Michigan Republican Executive Secretary
- Jim Saalfeld, County Commissioner (East Grand Rapids and Grand Rapids Township)
- Ted Vonk, County Commissioner (Plainfield Township)
- Shana Shroll, County Commissioner ( Grand Rapids and East Grand Rapids)
- Dick Vander Molen, County Commissioner (Kentwood)
- William Byl, Drain Commissioner
- Greg Dean, Oakfield Township Supervisor
- Michael DeVries, GR Township Supervisor
- Chuck Porter, Courtland Township Supervisor
- Buzz Goebel, East Grand Rapids City Commissioner
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Chris + Afendoulis + Michigan + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Michigan House of Representatives
- Michigan House of Representatives District 73
- Michigan House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Michigan State Legislature
- Michigan House Republicans - Chris Afendoulis
- Official campaign website
- Legislative Profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Profile from Vote-USA
- Chris Afendoulis on Facebook
- chrisafendoulis.com, "Issues and Solutions," accessed July 31, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed August 6, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "Representative in State Legislature," accessed December 5, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan Primary Candidate Listing," accessed May 27, 2014
- Michigan Secretary of State, "2014 Official Michigan General Candidate Listing," accessed September 8, 2014
- chrisafendoulis.com, "Campaign Supporters," accessed July 31, 2014
- Right to Life of Michigan, "Elections," accessed June 18, 2014
Peter MacGregor (R)
|Michigan House of Representatives District 73
| Succeeded by|
State of Michigan
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture and Rural Development | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor and Economic Growth | Chairman of Public Service Commission |
Michigan Supreme Court | Supreme Court Elections | Court of Appeals | First Circuit Court of Appeals | Second Circuit Court of Appeals | Third Circuit Court of Appeals | Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals | List of Michigan Circuit Courts | Judicial Nominating Commission | Judicial news | Judicial activist organizations |