|Oregon State Senate, District 27|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|Councilwoman, Bend City Council|
|Bachelor's||University of Denver|
|Date of birth||January 2, 1950|
|Place of birth||Philadelphia, PA|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Committee assignments
- 3 Issues
- 4 Elections
- 5 Campaign donors
- 6 Personal
- 7 Additional reading
- 8 Recent news
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Telfer was a candidate for Deschutes County Commissioner in 1980. She then served as Councilwoman for Bend City Council from 2003 to 2008.
Telfer earned her B.S. in Hotel and Restaurant Management/Business Administration from the University of Denver. She then did her Post-Graduate Work in Accounting for the University of Oregon. Her professional experinence includes working as a Certified Public Accountant and as a professor at Central Oregon Community College.
- Finance and Revenue Committee, Oregon State Senate
- Redistricting Committee, Oregon State Senate
- Joint Legislative Audits and Information Management and Technology Committee, Oregon State Legislature
- Joint Tax Credits Committee, Oregon State Legislature
- Commerce and Workforce Development Committee, Oregon Senate
- Finance and Revenue Committee, Oregon Senate
- Human Services and Rural Health Policy Committee, Oregon Senate
On her campaign website, Telfer outlined the following campaign themes:
- "Chris Telfer has lived, worked and raised her family in Oregon for the last 35 years. Over the years, Chris has tirelessly worked for better land use laws, improved transportation, affordable health care, fiscal conservatism, great schools and a sustainable quality of life for Oregon. Chris is known for tackling tough issues and utilizes strong, collaborative leadership to continue moving forward toward preserving the Oregon we know and love. In 2013 and beyond, Chris will continue her work as a voice of reason, your voice in Salem."
April 3, 2012
On April 3, 2012, the District 27 Republican candidates participated in a debate on KPOV sponsored by the League of Women Voters. Audio of the debate can be found here.
March 27, 2012
On March 27, 2012, the District 27 Republican candidates participated in a debate on COTV's "Talk of the Town." Coverage of the debate can be found here.
March 13, 2012
On March 13, 2012, the District 27 Republican candidates participated in a debate on KBND. Audio of the debate can be found here.
Telfer was the only voice of dissent in the Senate Committee of Finance and Revenue in mid-May 2011 as they approved a new program to assist low-income families in paying their electric bills. The cost comes to 35 cents each month for residential ratepayers under this measure, Senate Bill 863.
This program, called the Oregon Low-Income Energy Assistance Program, would require electricity companies to collect an additional $5 million from residents to apply toward payment of electricity for low-income families seeking assistance.
The bill would require energy companies to collectively contribute $5 million to the Housing and Community Services Department Low-Income Electric Bill Payment Assistance Fund, totaling $10 million over the two-year period.
- See also: Oregon State Senate elections, 2012
Telfer ran for re-election in 2012. She was defeated by Tim Knopp in the May 15, 2012, Republican primary. Geri Hauser (D) ran unopposed in the Democratic primary. The general election took place on November 6, 2012.
|Oregon State Senate, District 27 Republican Primary, 2012|
|Chris Telfer Incumbent||31.8%||4,149|
- See also: Oregon State Senate elections, 2008
On November 4, 2008, Telfer was elected to the 27th District Seat in the Oregon State Senate, besting Maren Lundgren (D). Telfer raised $371,430 for his campaign, while Lundgren raised $27,594.
|Oregon State Senate, District 27 (2008)|
|Chris Telfer (R)||42,061|
|Maren Lundgren (D)||28,379|
In 2008, Telfer collected $371,430 in donations.
These were the largest contributors.
|OREGON SENATE REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP FUND||$87,347|
|FRIENDS OF TED FERRIOLI||$27,381|
|NOREGON VICTORY PAC||$20,000|
|ASSOCIATED OREGON LOGGERS||$10,000|
Telfer is divorced and has two children.
- Oregon Public Broadcasting, "Bend State Senate Race Pits Former House Majority Leader Against Incumbent," April 9, 2012
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Chris + Telfer + Oregon + Senate'"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- Oregon State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Oregon State Legislature
- Joint Committees
- Oregon state legislative districts
- Chris Telfer on Twitter
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2010, 2008
- Telfer for Treasurer, "Chris Telfer on the Issues," accessed December 24, 2014(Archived)
- Oregon Capitol News, "Oregonians could see electricity rate increases to assist low-income residents," May 16, 2011
- Oregon Secretary of State, "Candidate Filings for the Senate," accessed April 11, 2012
- Oregon Secretary of State, "2012 Oregon State Senate Official Primary Results," accessed May 23, 2014
- Oregon Secretary of State, "2012 General Election Results," accessed May 23, 2014
- Oregon Secretary of State, "2008 Oregon State Senate Primary Election Results," accessed May 23, 2014
- Oregon Secretary of State, "2008 Oregon State Senate General Election Results," accessed May 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "Oregon Senate spending, 2008," accessed May 23, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2008 campaign contributions," accessed December 18, 2014
|Oregon State Senate District 27
| Succeeded by|
Tim Knopp (R)