Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Maryland House of Delegates, District 42B|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|J.D.||University of Pennsylvania|
West earned his B.A. degree from Williams College in 1972. He went on to earn his J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania School of Law in 1975.
West has been active in the Republican party. He served as an executive director of the Maryland State Republican Party and a chairman of the Baltimore County Republican Party. From 1980 through 2002, he served many terms as counsel to the Maryland Republican Party and was legal counsel to all three Ehrlich for Governor campaigns.
West highlighted the following themes on his campaign website:
- Maryland personal income taxes
- Excerpt: "If I am elected, I pledge to dig in my heels and fight to hold the line on further personal income tax increases."
- Maryland corporate income taxes
- Excerpt: "If I am elected, I will propose an immediate reduction of Maryland’s corporate income tax rate from 8-1/4% to 6% (the same rate as Virginia), with additional annual -1/2% reductions until Maryland’s rate is only 3%, half of the rate in Virginia."
- Maryland's death tax
- Excerpt: "If elected, I will introduce legislation to increase Maryland’s estate tax exemption so that it is identical to the federal exemption."
- Second amendment
- Excerpt: " If I am elected, I will respect a citizen’s Second Amendment right to own a firearm, and will oppose unreasonable restrictions on law-abiding citizens who wish to exercise that right. I will work to increase State funding for law enforcement which is targeted at the black market for guns. I will explore ways in which the State can discourage the usage of homicidal video games."
- Natural gas and Atlantic Ocean windmills
- Excerpt: "I will work to convert Maryland’s coal-burning electrical power plants to natural gas, and I will oppose the wasteful O’Malley windmill project."
- Excerpt: "I will fight to maintain the first place ranking of Maryland’s public schools and will endeavor to change the rules and regulations that currently place roadblocks in the way of using alternative certification standards for school teachers, particularly in the disciplines of science, math and technology, where the State has experienced continuing shortages of qualified teachers."
- Death penalty
- Excerpt: "I would have voted against repeal of the death penalty and will support a referendum on the issue. In the long run, however, if we keep electing Governors who are opposed to the death penalty, it makes little sense to spend huge amounts of money on capital punishment cases."
- State pensions
- Excerpt: "I plan to make as a top priority a thorough investigation of the management of the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System and will work with Democrats to craft the best solution to this incipient crisis."
Elections for the office of Maryland House of Delegates will take place in 2014. A primary election took place June 24, 2014. The general election will be held on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 25, 2014. Robert Leonard and Craig J. Little were unopposed in the Democratic primary, while incumbent Susan L. Aumann and Chris West defeated incumbent Joseph C. Boteler III and Jesse Filamor in the Republican primary. Leonard, Little, Aumann and West face off for two seats in the general election.
|Maryland House of Delegates, District 42B Republican Primary, 2014|
|Susan L. Aumann Incumbent||40.2%||3,987|
|Joseph C. Boteler III Incumbent||19.3%||1,912|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Chris + West + Maryland + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Maryland Secretary of State - Official candidate list
- Official campaign website
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "2014 Gubernatorial Primary Election State Candidates List - House of Delegates," accessed May 9, 2014
- Information submitted through Ballotpedia's biographical submission form on August 1, 2014
- Elect Chris West, "About Chris," accessed August 4, 2014
- Elect Chris West, "Issues," accessed August 4, 2014
- Maryland Secretary of State, "Official primary election candidate list," accessed March 3, 2014
- Maryland State Board of Elections, "Unofficial Results for the 2014 Gubernatorial Primary Election," accessed June 25, 2014
State of Maryland
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Comptroller | Treasurer | Superintendent of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor, Licensing and Regulation | Chairman of Public Service Commission |