|Board member, Cupertino Union School District, At-large|
|High school||Arcadia High School|
|Bachelor's||San Jose State University|
|J.D.||University of Virginia|
|Service/branch||U.S. Marine Corps|
Chris Zhang is a nonpartisan candidate seeking election to the Cupertino Union School District Board of Education on November 4, 2014. Zhang is running against incumbent Anjali Kausar and challengers Kristen Pan Lyn and Soma McCandless for three at-large seats.
Zhang graduated from Arcadia High School and earned a bachelor's degree from San Jose State University. He also earned a J.D. from the University of Virginia. Zhang has worked as a technology attorney, law clerk for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and an officer candidate for the U.S. Marine Corps. He is a former board member of the Cupertino Education Endowment Foundation, a legal counsel and volunteer for the Shin Shin Education Foundation, a member and volunteer for the Cupertino Rotary, the founder of Friends of Cupertino Transit and the founder of the United Asian Americans for Activism.
Chris lives in Cupertino with his wife and two children. Aside from community volunteering, he enjoys reading and being outdoors.
Three at-large seats are up for election on the Cupertino Union School District Board of Education on November 4, 2014. Incumbent Anjali Kausar is running against challengers Kristen Pan Lyn, Chris Zhang and Soma McCandless.
Zhang has received endorsements from a number of elected and appointed officials and community leaders. He has also been endorsed by current and former members of the Cupertino Union School District Board of Education.
Zhang's campaign website listed the following themes for his 2014 election:
Once elected, my priorities will be CRIS:
—Chris Zhang's campaign website (2014), 
About the district
Cupertino Union School District is located in Santa Clara County, California. The county seat is San Jose. Santa Clara County is home to 1,862,041 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. In the 2011-2012 school year, Cupertino Union School District was the 87th-largest school district by enrollment in California and served18,650 students.
Santa Clara County outperformed the rest of California in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 46 percent of Santa Clara County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 30.5 percent for California as a whole. The median household income for Santa Clara County was $90,747 compared to $61,400 for the state of California. The percentage of people below poverty level for Santa Clara County was 9.7 percent while it was 15.3 percent for the state of California.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Chris + Zhang + Cupertino + Union + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters, "Contest/Candidate Proof List Gubernatorial General Election," accessed August 14, 2014
- Chris Zhang for CUSD, "Bio," accessed August 15, 2014
- Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters, "County of Santa Clara Electronic Filing System: Public Access Portal," accessed August 26, 2014
- Chris Zhang for CUSD, "Endorsements," accessed August 26, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Chris Zhang for CUSD, "Vision," accessed September 15, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Santa Clara County, California," accessed July 3, 2013
- National Center for Education Statistics, "ELSI Table Generator," accessed April 22, 2014
- Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters, "Past Election Results," accessed July 3, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
|2014 Cupertino Union School District Elections|
|Santa Clara County, California|
|Election date:||November 4, 2014|
|Candidates:||At-large: • Incumbent, Anjali Kausar • Kristen Pan Lyn • Soma McCandless • Chris Zhang|
|Important information:||Key deadlines • Additional elections on the ballot|