Christina School District, Delaware
|Christina School District|
|Superintendent:||Freeman L. Williams|
|Number of schools:||30|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||David Resler|
About the districtNew Castle County, Delaware. The county seat of New Castle County is Wilmington. According to the United States Census Bureau, New Castle County is home to 538,479 residents.
New Castle County outperformed in comparison to the rest of Delaware in terms of higher education achievement in 2012. The United States Census Bureau found that 33.5 percent of New Castle County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 28.5 percent for Delaware as a whole. The median household income in New Castle County was $64,670 compared to $60,119 for the state of Delaware. The poverty rate in New Castle County was 10.7 percent compared to 11.5 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100.0%. Each column will add up to 100.0% after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
Freeman L. Williams is the superintendent of Christina School District. He has served in this role since July 2012. Williams previously served as the interim superintendent of Appoquinimink School District. Williams earned his bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree from the University of Delaware. He also previously served as a teacher, principal and assistant superintendent.
The Christina Board of Education is composed of seven members serving five-year terms.
|Christina Board of Education|
|George E. Evans||A||2015|
|Harrie Ellen Minnehan||E||2018|
|Elizabeth C. Paige||F||2014|
|John M. Young||D||2014|
School board elections
Members of the Christina Board of Education are elected to five-year terms. Two seats were up for election in 2014 and one seat will be up for election in 2015.
Christina School District publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Christina School District employed 1,087 K-12 teachers during the 2012-2013 school year. Teacher salaries are categorized based on higher education achievement, professional development and years of service. A teacher with a bachelor's degree can earn higher salaries by pursuing graduate courses with raises at credit intervals. The salary schedule also accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule negotiated between the district and the Christina Education Association for 2013-2014:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|BA + 15||40,268||67,073|
|BA + 30||42,895||71,106|
|MA + 15||46,776||80,376|
|MA + 30||48,408||83,385|
|MA + 45||50,032||84,962|
|MA + 60||50,305||85,233|
Schools in Christina School District
Christina School District served 17,400 students during the 2012-2013 school year. Christina School District does not publicly archive enrollment data.
Christina School District operates 30 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Christina School District|
|Delaware Autism Program|
|Delaware School for the Deaf|
|Sarah Pyle Academy|
|West Park Place Elementary|
The Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System or DCAS is a series of assessments designed to measure what Delaware’s students know and are able to do at each grade level in reading, mathematics, science and social studies. Each test question measures knowledge of the content standards and grade level expectations. Each test question measures knowledge of the extended content standards, which are adapted from the Delaware Content Standards especially for this population.
|Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System - Spring 2013|
|Test Year - Grade||Number Tested||Meet Standard (%)||Below Standard (%)||Scale Score Mean|
- Delaware school districts
- List of school districts in Delaware
- Christina School District elections (2014)
- School board elections portal
- Christina School District
- Wilmington, Delaware
- Christina Education Association
- New Castle County, Delaware
- Delaware Department of Education
- Delaware School Boards Association
- Christina School District, "Christina School District Cited for Progress in State Dropout and Graduation Rate Report," accessed March 21, 2014
- Christina School District, "Fiscal Year 2014 Preliminary Budget," accessed November 26, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "New Castle County, Delaware," accessed March 21, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Christina School District, "Board of Education: Meet the 2013-2014 Board," accessed March 21, 2014
- Christina School District, "Board of Education," accessed March 21, 2014
- Christina School District, "Non-grandfathered Teacher's Salary Schedule," accessed March 21, 2014
- Christina School District, "District maps," accessed March 20, 2014
- Delaware Department of Education, "Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System State Summary," accessed March 20, 2014
- Delaware Department of Education, "Delaware Comprehensive Assessment System On-line Reports (ver. 2012b)," accessed March 20, 2014