For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Christine Johnson, Illinois legislator
|Illinois State Senate District 35|
|February 14, 2011 - 2013|
|High school||Indian Creek High School|
|Bachelor's||Northern Illinois University|
Johnson earned her B.A. from Northern Illinois University.
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Johnson served on these committees:
- Subcommittee on Special Issues (Licensed Activities)
Johnson's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- Budget and Tax Increase
- Excerpt: "I am opposed to tax increases that place additional financial burdens on our citizens and drive businesses out of Illinois."
- Job Creation
- Excerpt: "I have co-sponsored legislation to repeal the tax increase enacted in January, 2011 on businesses."
- Cuts and Reforms
- Excerpt: "There are a number of cuts that have already been made, such as a reduction in the number of state-paid electronic devices and the number of vehicles in the state fleet."
- Legislators as Lobbyists
- Excerpt: "I would support legislation banning elected state officials from taking jobs in state government until at least five years after they leave office."
- Pension System Reform
- Excerpt: "The current pension system, with its $85 billion deficit, is not sustainable."
- Second Amendment Rights
- Excerpt: "As a life member of the NRA, I support the second amendment rights of our citizens to own and carry firearms."
- Gambling and Casino Expansion
- Excerpt: "I do not believe that the expansion of gambling is a reliable source of revenue."
- Excerpt: "I believe that life begins at conception and is sacred -- not only for the unborn, but throughout a person's life."
- Excerpt: "I had not yet been appointed to the Senate for the vote on civil unions. Had I been, I would have voted against them."
- Excerpt: "I serve as the Minority Spokesperson on the Higher Education committee, and am on the Education Committee as well as the P-20 Council on Education. The education of our children is very important to me."
- Excerpt: "We owe our nation's veterans a debt of gratitude for the freedoms we enjoy every day. They have sacrificed for us, protected and defended us."
- Community Ties
- Excerpt: "My husband Jim and I have lived in this area our whole lives. I was born in Rockford, my mother grew up in Loves Park and my grandparents lived here."
- See also: Illinois State Senate elections, 2012
|Illinois State Senate Republican Primary, 2012|
|Dave Syverson Incumbent||57.6%||14,368|
|Christine J. Johnson Incumbent||42.4%||10,592|
Johnson was endorsed by Family-Pac.
Illinois Opportunity Project
The Illinois Opportunity Project, "an independent research and public policy enterprise that promotes legislative solutions in advance of free markets and free minds," annually releases its Legislative Vote Card, grading all members in both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly on the basis of their support of "pro-growth economic policies that increase personal freedom and reign in expansive government."
Johnson received a score of 87.50 out of 100 in 2012 for a grade of A- according to the IOP’s grading scale. Her score was tied for the 13th highest among all 59 members of the Illinois State Senate included in the Vote Card.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Christine + Johnson + Illinois + Senate
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Johnson and her husband, Jim, have one child.
- Campaign website
- Biography, bills and committees at the Illinois General Assembly]
- Sen. Johnson website
- Social media:
- Summary, biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Wikipedia
- WIFR, "Christine Johnson Sworn In to State Senate ," February 14, 2011
- WREX, "Christine Johnson sworn in to Burzynski's old Senate seat," February 15, 2011
- Campaign website, Issues
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Candidate List," accessed December 5, 2011
- Illinois State Board of Elections, "Official 2012 Primary Results," accessed May 14, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Results," accessed May 15, 2014
- Family-Pac, "Endorsements," accessed June 22, 2012
- Illinois Opportunity Project, "The Project," accessed February 21, 2013
- Illinois Opportunity Project, "Legislative Vote Card home page," accessed February 21, 2013
J. Bradley Burzynski (D)
|Illinois Senate District 35
February 14, 2011–2013
| Succeeded by|
Dave Syverson (R)