|South Dakota State Senate, District 2|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|High school||Redfield High School, 1971|
|Bachelor's||Northern State University, 1975|
Welke earned his B.A. in School Administration and Physical Education from Northern State University in 1975. His professional experience includes working at the Warner School as an athletic director and principal from 1977 until his retirement in 2010.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Welke served on the following committees:
|South Dakota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Local Government|
|• Retirement Laws|
The general elections for the office of South Dakota State Senate took place on November 4, 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 25, 2014. Incumbent Chuck Welke ran unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Brock Greenfield was unopposed in the Republican primary. Greenfield defeated Welke in the general election.
|South Dakota State Senate, District 2, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Chuck Welke Incumbent||47.4%||4,136|
|Source: South Dakota Secretary of State|
Welke won election in the 2012 election for South Dakota State Senate District 2. He ran unopposed in the Democratic primary on June 5 and defeated incumbent Arthur Fryslie (R) in the general election, which took place on November 6, 2012.
|South Dakota State Senate, District 2, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Art Fryslie Incumbent||48.6%||5,140|
Comprehensive donor information for Chuck Welke is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Chuck Welke raised a total of $15,700 during that time period. This information was last updated on September 25, 2013.
|Chuck Welke's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||South Dakota State Senate, District 2||$15,700|
|Grand Total Raised||$15,700|
2012Chuck Welke won election to the South Dakota State Senate in 2012. During that election cycle, Chuck Welke raised a total of $15,700.
|South Dakota State Senate 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Chuck Welke's campaign in 2012|
|Political Involvement Cmte (Epic)||$2,200|
|Brown County Democratic Party||$1,200|
|South Dakota Telecommunications Association||$500|
|South Dakota Ethanol Producers Association||$250|
|Total Raised in 2012||$15,700|
|Source: Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
In 2014, the 89th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 14 to March 31.
- South Dakota Right to Life: 2013-2014 Pro-life Legislative Ratings
- Legislators are scored based on their votes relating to the issue of abortions.===2013===
In 2013, the 88th South Dakota State Legislature was in session from January 8 to March 25.
- South Dakota Freedom Coalition: South Dakota Freedom Index 2013
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on the "top ten" issues affecting your freedom.
Welke has been married to his wife Ellen since 1975.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Chuck + Welke + South + Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- South Dakota State Legislature
- South Dakota State Senate
- South Dakota Senate Committees
- South Dakota Joint Committees
- South Dakota State Senate District 2
- Chuck Welke on Facebook
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions via Follow the Money: 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Primary Election - Official Results," accessed June 4, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Official General Election Results - November 4, 2014," accessed November 12, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Current Candidates for Primary Election," accessed May 2, 2014
- Office of the South Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election Candidate List," accessed April 9, 2012
- followthemoney.org, "Welke, Chuck," accessed September 25, 2013
Jim Hundstad (D)
|South Dakota State Senate District 2
| Succeeded by|
Brock Greenfield (R)