|Board Member, Saint Paul School Board, At-large|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|First elected||November 5, 2013|
|Next general||November, 2017|
|Bachelor's||St. Olaf College|
|J.D.||William Mitchell College of Law|
As a child, Chue Vue and his family emigrated to the United States from Laos in order to avoid persecution from the rising communist regime. Vue and his family lived in Texas and Oklahoma before settling in Wisconsin, and Vue attended high school in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Vue earned his Bachelor's degree in Chemistry and Philosophy from St. Olaf College and spent the first decade of his career as a research chemist with the United States Fish and Wildlife Service. He then decided to change careers and earned his J.D. from the William Mitchell College of Law. Upon receiving his law degree, Vue founded the United Legal Law Firm, which specializes in family, criminal, bankruptcy and personal injury law.
|Saint Paul Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Jean O'Connell Incumbent||29.3%||19,621|
|Nonpartisan||John Brodrick Incumbent||24.6%||16,449|
|Source: Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Results for Selected Contests in School District No. 625 - St. Paul," accessed December 18, 2013|
Chue Vue reported $27,616.64 in contributions and $21,486.43 in expenditures to the Ramsey County Election Office, which left his campaign with $6,130.21 on hand.
- Saint Paul Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
- St. Paul Federation of Teachers
- Saint Paul Public Schools board members John Brodrick, Elona Street-Stewart, and Anne Carroll
- Saint Paul City Council members Chris Tolbert, Amy Brendmoen, Dan Bostrom
- Minnesota State Senators Foung Hawj and John Hoffman and Minnesota State Representatives Sheldon Johnson and Tim Mahoney
- Hmong American Leaders Council, Inc., IBEW Local 110, Saint Paul Building & Construction Trades Council
Vue's campaign website listed the following campaign themes for 2013:
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
There were three seats on the school board up for election on November 5, 2013. Board President Jean O'Connell and fellow incumbent John Brodrick sought and won re-election, but fellow incumbent Elona Street-Stewart did not file for re-election. They faced three newcomers in Chue Vue, Terrance Bushard and Greg Copeland for the three seats.
About the district
- See also: Saint Paul Public Schools, Minnesota
Ramsey County underperformed in comparison to the rest of Minnesota in terms of its median rates of average household income and poverty rate but outperformed the state in terms of higher education achievement in 2011. The median household income in Ramsey County was $52,713 compared to $58,476 for the state of Minnesota. The poverty rate in Ramsey County was 16.4% compared to 11.0% for the entire state. The United States Census Bureau also found that 38.8% of Ramsey County residents aged 25 years and older attained a Bachelor's degree compared to 31.8% in Minnesota.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Chue + Vue + Saint + Paul + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Chue Vue for Saint Paul School Board, "Biography," accessed October 23, 2013
- Ramsey County, Minnesota, "Campaign Finance Reports - 2013," accessed December 27, 2013
- Saint Paul City DFL, "Saint Paul DFL candidates file for mayor and school board races," July 30, 2013
- Chue Vue for Saint Paul School Board, "My Supporters," accessed October 23, 2013
- Mila Koumpilova, TwinCities.com, "St. Paul school board candidates agree on problems, but not on fixes," October 17, 2013
- Chue Vue for Saint Paul School Board, "What I Stand For," accessed October 23, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Ramsey County, Minnesota," accessed October 15, 2013
- Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State, "Election Results and Statistics," accessed October 15, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014