Cibolo City Council recall, Texas (2013)
A vote about whether or not to recall four members of the Cibolo City Council in Cibolo, Texas was on the November 5, 2013 ballot. The council members who faced recall were Larry Carlton, Karen Hale, Steve Liparoto, and Ron Pedde. According to preliminary election results, Hale and Liparoto were recalled, while Pedde and Carlton were retained.
The following are the unofficial results of the recall election held on November 5, 2013:
Liparoto was successfully recalled by a slim margin of two votes: 137 to 135. Hale was recalled by a vote of 115 to 84. Pedde and Carlton held on to their positions with votes of 76 to 75 and 192 to 168, respectively.
The effort to recall the four city councilmembers was initiated by Andre Larkins, who was part of a group of residents opposed to the building of a 182,000 square-foot Walmart store on a 22 acre plot in the city and were looking for various legal options to stop it. The city council approved various preliminary plans for the building of the store.
Recall supporters only targeted Carlton, Hale, Liparoto, and Pedde because their terms were due to expire in November 2014; the other three members of the council, Gabriel Castro, Melvin Hicks, and Miguel Troncoso were set for regular election in November 2013. The mayoral seat was also on the ballot, but Mayor Jennifer Hartman did not run for re-election because she reached her term limit.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Laws governing recall in Texas
The city council voted on August 22, 2013 to hold the recall elections on the same day as the 2013 general election, November 5.
Signatures were submitted to the City Secretary on July 19. According to rules in the city charter, each petition required a signature count equal to 30 percent of those who voted in the last city election, or 150, whichever number was greater. City Secretary Peggy Cimics informed the city council on July 30, 2013 that all four recall petitions had the required number of signatures to trigger a recall election.
- San Antonio Express-News, "Entire Cibolo Council on November ballot," August 23, 2013
- MySanAntonio.com, "4 lose seats on Cibolo City Council," November 5, 2013
- San Antonio Express-News, "Cibolo recall petition awaits council action," August 6, 2013
- KSAT.com, "Cibolo City Council takes over decision on proposed Walmart," July 10, 2013
- San Antonio Express-News, "Cibolo's Walmart fight escalating," August 9, 2013
- San Antonio Express-News, "Wal-Mart opponents in Cibolo claim city cut corners," August 14, 2013
- San Antonio Express-News, "Petition targets Cibolo council," July 16, 2013
- City of Cibolo, "City Council," accessed: August 15, 2013
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |