Cities in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania allows municipal charter cities and counties. There are 67 total counties in Pennsylvania. Of those 67:
Types of local government
Local government in Pennsylvania consists of:
- Counties: There are 67 counties. 7 operate under home rule charters. They are Allegheny, Delaware, Erie, Lackawanna, Lehigh, Luzerne, and Northampton.
- Cities: There are 56 cities. 19 operate under home rule charters.
- Boroughs: There are 958 boroughs. 19 operate under home rule charters.
- Incorporated town: There is one incorporated town, Bloomsburg. It does not have a charter.
- Township: There are 1547 townships. 27 operate under home rule charters..
- In addition, there are 1,764 special districts and 514 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
All of Pennsylvania's seven charter counties have charter amendment by initiative.
Charter amendment by initiative is available in each of Pennsylvania's 65 charter cities. In addition, the state's 37 third class cities enjoy a limited initiative process.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Pennsylvania|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|Philadelphia||1,536,471||Home rule charter||November 4, 2014|
|Pittsburgh||307,484||Home rule charter||N/A|
|Allentown||119,141||Home rule charter||N/A|
|Erie||101,807||General law under Optional 3rd Class City Charter Law||N/A|
|Reading||88,414||Home rule charter||N/A|
|Scranton||75,995||Home rule charter||N/A|
|Bethlehem||75,266||General law under Optional 3rd Class City Charter Law||N/A|
|Lancaster||60,058||General law under Optional 3rd Class City Charter Law||N/A|
|Harrisburg||49,673||General law under Optional 3rd Class City Charter Law||N/A|
|Altoona||46,329||General law under Optional Plan||N/A|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of Pennsylvania cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Laws governing local ballot measures in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania ballot measures
- Counties in Pennsylvania
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, The Pennsylvania Manual, Volume 120, 2011, Pg. 6-7
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia Research Document, "Types and Numbers of local government by state," September 1, 2012 (created)
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)