Cities in Vermont
Types of local government
Local government in Vermont consists of:
- Counties. Vermont is divided up into counties, which are not allowed a Charter by state law but are run according to General law.
- Towns. Towns are local governments under Counties. Some Towns are allowed Charters but most are governed according to general law.
- Villages. Villages are local governments under towns. They provide some services such as sewer, water, police and fire.
- Cities. Cities are local units of government that are independent of towns. Currently all cities in Vermont are charter cities.
In Vermont, there are 14 counties, 9 cities, 237 towns and 36 villages. All nine cities are chartered, as well as 34 towns and 25 villages.
- In addition, there are 143 special districts and 291 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
- State laws do not mention Initiative petitions for ordinances.
- The voters of all municipalities have the right to petition a referendum in order to repeal any enacted or amended ordinance.
- The voters of all municipalities have the right to petition the adoption of a charter. The voters of all chartered municipalities have the right to petition for the amendment of their charter.
- Citizens in chartered cities, villages, and towns may be granted an Initiative process for ordinances in the individual municipal charter.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Vermont|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|Burlington||42,645||Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
|South Burlington||18,017||Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
|Rutland||16,399||Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
|Essex Junction||9,331||(village)Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
|Barre||9,066||Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
|Montpelier||7,868||Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
|Winooski||7,312||Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
|St. Albans||6,971||Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
|Newport||4,579||Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
|Bellows Falls||3,131||(village)Charter||Town Meeting Initiative Process|
Full List of Cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
As of the 2010 Census, there are 282 incorporated cities, villages and towns in Vermont. The list below only includes the 45 villages and cities (excludes towns). Population figures below are based on the updated estimates as of July 1, 2011.
|List of Cities and Population in Vermont|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- Handbook for Vermont Selectboards_10-20.pdf
- Types and Numbers of Local Government Research Spread Sheet
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)
- US Census "March 2011 Estimate of Vermont cities"