Cities in Wyoming
There are 99 total municipalities in Wyoming. Wyoming allows cities and towns to adopt charter ordinances, making each in effect similar to a charter city with Home rule powers. 7 cities have exercised this home rule authority and adopted charter ordinances. They are Green River, Douglas, Powell, Cody, Jackson, Gillette, and Afton.
Types of local government
Local government in Wyoming consists of:
- 23 county governments.
- 99 city and town governments.
- In addition, there are 618 special districts and 55 independent school districts.
Initiative process availability
There are no local units of government in Wyoming that make the initiative process available. There is a state prescribed process for local initiative and referendum for cities with a commission form of government, but, at present, there are no such cities in Wyoming.
10 most populated cities
|List of Most Populated Cities in Wyoming|
|City||Population||City Type||Next election|
|Rock Springs||23,229||General law||N/A|
Full list of cities
- See also: List of Wyoming cities
|A guide to local ballot initiatives|
- Local Government Types and Numbers Research Spreadsheet
- Wyoming Association of Municipalities, Home Rule in Wyoming
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
- Ballotpedia: Types and #'s of local government by state
- US Census Bureau "City and Town Totals: Vintage 2011 (Population figures as of 2011 Census estimates)