City of Glendale County Vacancy Appointment Election Date Question, Measure G (June 2014)
Elections and Campaigns
|Not on ballot|
The measure established that, if a city council vacancy occurs, a temporary appointment is made to fill the vacant position until the next regularly scheduled city council election. It allowed council members appointed to fill council vacancies to finish out the full term of the council member they replace. At the time of Measure G's passage, city law demanded a special election for the council position in question to take place on the very next possible special election date after a vacancy was filled by appointment, even if this required holding an election for the exclusive purpose of electing a council member.
- Election results from County of Los Angeles Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Election Results
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
|Charter Amendment No. G1: Shall the Charter be amended to require that any vacancy occuring in the council, city clerk or city treasurer be filled by a majority vote of the council within 30 days or by calling a special election and such appointee shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term if the term is up at the next general municipal election, and if not, and time for nominations has not yet commenced, then stand for election?|
Councilman Zareh Sinanyan said that he believed the rules requiring essentially back-to-back elections add stress to staff members and discourage some voters from coming out to vote due to election frequency. He said, “The disruptive nature of what we’re having right now…it’s not very conducive to city government.”
Path to the ballot
The city council put this measure on the June 3, 2014 ballot in order to avoid expensive special elections required by city rules to replace or officially re-elect council members appointed to vacant council positions.
Rafi Manoukian vacancy
This measure was proposed, in part, as a response to the special council member election on June 3, 2014, which was held exclusively to elect a council member to take the place of former Councilman Rafi Manoukian, who left the council to become City Treasurer. This election was triggered by city rules requiring the city to hold an election as soon as possible after a vacancy in the city council and was estimated to cost the city about $230,000. In April of 2013, the council appointed Frank Quintero to temporarily take the place of Manoukian. In June, a council member was to be elected at the expensive election, but the new member was only serve on the council until April of 2015.
- Local election and voting laws on the ballot
- Elections and campaigns on the ballot
- June 3, 2014 ballot measures in California
- Los Angeles County, California ballot measures
- County of Los Angeles Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk, "Election Results," accessed June 3, 2014
- Glendale News-Press, "Special election measure goes to June ballot," February 27, 2014
- Los Angeles County Registrar website, Archived "June 3, 2014, ballot measures," accessed March 14, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid