City of Imperial Beach "Compassionate Access Ordinance" Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Act (June 2014)
|Voting on Marijuana|
|Not on ballot|
Marcus Boyd has proposed and collected signatures for another measure to allow a medical marijuana dispensary to open in Imperial Beach. The measure is similar to 2012 Proposition S, known as the "Safe Access Ordinance", which was authored by Marcus Boyd and rejected by voters in a 58% to 42% race. Boyd is trying again in 2014, but with slight changes that Boyd thinks will make the measure more acceptable to voters this time around. Boyd said, "The allowance to use on site is going to be removed, we're going to limit the dispensary to city of IB residents only." The new measure also reduces hours of operation and restricts potential locations to eliminate the possibility of a dispensary opening near the beach.
"Compassionate" v. "Safe"
The differences between Proposition S in 2012 and the newly proposed measure will be highlighted in this section if the initiative qualifies for the ballot.
Marcus Boyd is the chief petitioner for the "Compassionate Access Ordinance".
The same proponents that worked to support Proposition S are active again in 2014, including the Yes on S campaign.
Path to the ballot
The petition has been circulated and, according to reports, signatures may be submitted to the Imperial Beach City Clerk sometime in the month of December, 2013. The measure needs approximated 1,000 valid signatures, which amounts to 10% of the city's registered voters, to qualify for the ballot.
- City of Manitou Springs Retail Marijuana Ban (November 2014)
- City of Lewiston Recreational Marijuana Legalization Measure (November 2014)
- Town of York Recreational Marijuana Legalization Measure (November 2014)
- City of South Portland Recreational Marijuana Legalization Measure (November 2014)
- Washington D.C. Marijuana Legalization Initiative (November 2014)
- Shasta County Outdoor Medical Marijuana Ordinance Referendum (November 2014)
- Lake County Marijuana Cultivation Ordinance Referendum (June 2014)
- City of Imperial Beach "Compassionate Access Ordinance" Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Act (June 2014)
- City of Riverside Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Initiative (2014)
- Dane County State Legalization of Marijuana Referendum (April 2014)
- City of San Jose Medical Marijuana Regulation Act of 2014 (November 2014)