City of Los Angeles parcel tax, Proposition A (November 2008)
If Proposition A had been approved, it would have authorized the City of Los Angeles to levy a $36 annual parcel tax, with discounts for seniors with low-income.
The revenue from the tax would have gone to address gang violence through prevention via job training programs, after-school programs, vocational programs, and graffiti removal.
- These final, certified, election results are from the Los Angeles County elections office.
- The Daily Breeze stated "No, the city must prove the effectiveness of programs administered by the Mayor's Office before asking property owners for more money." 
- The Los Angeles Times cited issues with the city's past attempted gang prevention efforts "using contractors that operated with minimal scrutiny and no evaluation...under the L.A. Bridges banner" 
- The Daily News of Los Angeles agreed, stating "the only thing that the $36-a-year parcel tax would do for certain is funnel $30 million a year more of taxpayers' money into the black hole of Los Angeles City Hall." 
The question on the ballot:
|Proposition A: "To address gang violence through prevention and job training programs; preventing students from dropping out of school; funding supervised after-school programs, tutoring/mentoring, vocational/apprenticeship programs, expanded graffiti removal; requiring Controller audits, citizen oversight; funding proven programs; shall the City of Los Angeles levy an annual $36 gang prevention tax, with discounts for low-income seniors, on each real property parcel?"|
- Los Angeles City ballot measures
- Los Angeles County ballot measures
- California 2008 local ballot measures
- Parcel tax elections in California
- Smart Voter on Proposition A Includes full text of proposition.
- Cal-Tax report on the November school bond elections
- California City Finance report on November ballot measures
- Yes on Prop A (official site)
- Los Angeles Times Prop A Backers say now is the time to fund anti-gang efforts, Nov 2, 2008
- Mothers Against Gang Violence
- The Daily Breeze, Put a Stop to Gang Violence, Nov 1, 2008
- Los Angeles Times No on Measure A
- The Daily Breeze No on Prop A: Anti-gang parcel tax, Oct 23, 2008
- LA Weekly Delgadillo, Villaraigosa and L.A'.s 2008 Anti-Gang Tax, Oct 20, 2008