City of Pacifica Sales Tax, Measure D (May 2009)
Measure D proposed a one-cent sales in Pacifica. This would have expired in 2016.
Measure D was said to be a replacement tax for the city's then-current fire department parcel tax assessment which ended in June 2009.
- These final, certified, results are from the San Mateo County elections office.
Arguments in favor of Measure D prepared for the official voter's guide were:
- City services will be reduced if Measure D fails.
- Unlike the current fire parcel tax, the expense of Measure D will be shared among more people, including out-of-town people who come to Pacifica and purchase items on which the new sales tax will be charged.
Arguments against Measure D prepared for the official voter's guide were:
- There are no guarantees it will help the fire department.
- The city council has shown no cost savings anywhere in the city's budget.
- The city has not frozen hiring.
- The city has not frozen out-of-town travel.
- The city council has perks averaging $28,320 per city council member.
- This $1.7 million tax goes into the general fund with no guarantee that monies will go to the fire department.
- This $1.7 million tax is a blank check to the city council, since the funds go into the general fund.
The question on the ballot:
|Measure D: "Pacifica Vital City Services Protection Measure. To preserve public safety; prevent cuts to essential City services, including police, fire, 9-1-1 emergency response, street and pothole repair, and youth recreation programs; improve traffic flow and safety; protect local coastal areas and beaches from polluted runoff and trash; and provide other general fund services, shall Pacifica adopt a one-cent sales tax expiring in 2016, subject to financial audits, public expenditure reports, and a Citizen’s Oversight Committee?"|
- Full text of Measure D
- Argument in favor of Measure D
- Argument against Measure D
- City of Pacifica's sales tax ballot arguments reveal differences of opinion
- "No on Measure D"
- Raising taxes through the ballot box
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found