City of Woodland Public Library Expenditure of Sales Tax Advisory Question, Measure L (June 2014)
|Voting on Taxes|
|Not on ballot|
Measure L showed voter support for the expenditure of 20 percent of the revenue from the 1/4 percent sales tax renewed by Measure J on the Woodland Library System, including the enhancement of educational and youth literacy programs.
Rather than requesting a tax for specific purposes, the Woodland City Council decided to put Measure J on the ballot as a general tax measure, which meant the revenue it generated was designed to go into the general city fund, and, consequently, the measure only required a simply majority for approval, instead of the 2/3rds supermajority vote required for a special tax. The city council also put four advisory questions on the ballot asking for voter approval of certain proposed uses of the additional revenue. The measures asked if the new revenue should be divided in the following way:
- 60 percent to youth and teen programs and facilities
- 20 percent to the library to fund educational programs
- 15 percent to crime prevention services
- 5 percent to support water and sewer rate reductions for low-income residents
This method, in which a city puts a simple-majority, general tax measure on the ballot along with advisory questions directing the expenditure of the tax revenue, was also used in the June 3, 2014 primary by the city of Anderson in Shasta County.
- Election results from Yolo County Elections Office
Text of measure
The question on the ballot:
Advisory Vote Only. Shall the City Council allocate 20% of the tax revenue collected from any sales tax measure re-authorized in the City of Woodland via the June 2014 ballot to the Woodland Public Library to enhance educational and youth literacy programs and expand hours of operation?
Measure J: City of Woodland Sales Tax Continuation
Measure K: City of Woodland Youth Programs Expenditure of Sales Tax Advisory Question
Measure L: City of Woodland Youth Programs Expenditure of Sales Tax Advisory Question
Measure M: City of Woodland Youth Programs Expenditure of Sales Tax Advisory Question
Measure N: City of Woodland Youth Programs Expenditure of Sales Tax Advisory Question
- City tax on the ballot
- Local sales tax on the ballot
- Yolo County, California ballot measures
- June 3, 2014 ballot measures in California
- Yolo Elections Website, "June 3, 2014 ballot questions," archived June 13, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.