Clay County, Florida
- Year Organized: 1858
- Square Miles: 601
Evaluation of website
- Main article: Evaluation of Florida county websites
- Budgets are published
- Audits, monthly cash balance reports, and finance statements are posted.
- County commissioners are listed with contact information.
- Board meeting schedule is posted, along with current agenda and minutes, and live and archived video (back to 2008) of meetings is available.
- Building permits are available. Zoning information is provided, but very difficult to search through.
- Local tax information is provided.
- Does not disclose if belongs to government sector lobbying associations.
- Includes a public records search, but not how to make a public records request.
- There is no information on contracts.
In early 2012, Jacksonville's The Florida Times-Union requested public salary data from more than 90 North Florida government agencies for 2010-11. Below is a list of Clay County employees who earned more than $100,000 in 2010:
|Name||Year||Employer||Base Pay||Total Pay|
|SCRUBY, MARK||2010||Clay County Board of Commissioners||$176,376.50||$176,376.50|
|BICKNER, JAMES||2010||Clay County School District||$149,350.00||$149,350.00|
|BESELER JR., PAUL RICK||2010||Clay County Sheriff's Office||$132,518.00||$132,518.00|
|MOSS, FRANCES||2010||Clay County Board of Commissioners||$129,627.11||$129,627.11|
|MOORE, DONALD||2010||Clay County Board of Commissioners||$124,168.53||$124,168.53|
|Suggs, Roger||2010||Clay County Property Appraiser||$123,923.00||$123,923.00|
|Jett, James||2010||Clay County Clerk of Circuit Court||$123,918.08||$123,918.08|
|WEEKS, JIMMY||2010||Clay County Tax Collector||$123,861.00||$123,861.00|
|WORTHAM, BENJAMIN||2010||Clay County School District||$121,923.00||$121,923.00|
|ADAMS, DENISE||2010||Clay County School District||$119,350.00||$119,350.00|
|COPELAND, GEORGE||2010||Clay County School District||$113,575.00||$113,575.00|
|Hall, Cynthia||2010||Orange Park, Town of||$112,500.00||$112,500.00|
|MCCABE, TONI||2010||Clay County School District||$111,265.00||$111,265.00|
|WEEKS JR, ARNOLD||2010||Clay County Board of Commissioners||$108,749.33||$108,749.33|
|LANCASTER, LINDA||2010||Clay County School District||$108,185.00||$108,185.00|
|SANDERS, NEIL||2010||Clay County School District||$108,185.00||$108,185.00|
|Stotler, Doris||2010||Clay County Clerk of Circuit Court||$106,229.76||$106,229.76|
|Chambless, Chris||2010||Clay County Supervisor of Elections||$103,976.00||$103,976.00|
|Judd, Danielle||2010||Green Cove Springs, City of||$103,625.60||$103,625.60|
|WINGATE, MICHAEL||2010||Clay County School District||$103,565.00||$103,565.00|
|KLOEHN, MICHAEL W||2010||Clay County Board of Commissioners||$102,752.00||$102,752.00|
|MCCABE, PETER||2010||Clay County School District||$102,410.00||$102,410.00|
|DAVIS, LARRY||2010||Clay County School District||$102,410.00||$102,410.00|
|NIX, DAVID||2010||Clay County School District||$102,410.00||$102,410.00|
|WARD, WILLIAM||2010||Clay County School District||$102,410.00||$102,410.00|
|MIMBS, MARY||2010||Clay County School District||$102,410.00||$102,410.00|
|WYANT, COLETTE||2010||Clay County School District||$102,410.00||$102,410.00|
|PAULK, LENORE||2010||Clay County School District||$102,410.00||$102,410.00|
|MCDONALD, DAVID||2010||Clay County School District||$102,410.00||$102,410.00|
|JOHNS, FLOYD||2010||Clay County Tax Collector||$102,161.00||$102,161.00|
|WESTMORELAND, JOHN||2010||Clay County School District||$101,255.00||$101,255.00|
|WAREMBURG, ROBERT||2010||Clay County School District||$100,100.00||$100,100.00|
In late 2008 reporters organized by the Florida Society of Newspaper Editors requested the most recent budget emails from central Florida county officials in order to audit the responses.
When asked for e-mails in Clay County, the sheriff's office asked for the requestor's contact information in order to get back to him. He supplied his name and cell phone number, but received a response via postal mail. "In order to find out who I was, somebody had to do a little bit of checking." The response stated that no such records existed.
For Clay County, the Commission Auditor reports to the full Commission. By Charter amendment, the County Manager is the Comptroller to the Board of County Commissioners.
- Official Clay County Website
- Clay County on E-Reference
- Clay County Sheriff's Office
- Clay County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Clay County Health Department
- Clay County Free Public Records Directory
- U.S. Census Bureau QuickFacts
- Florida's charter counties
- Budget Department
- Clay County Finance Department
- County Commissioners (dead link)
- Meeting Schedule
- Minutes (dead link)
- Meeting Video
- Zoning (dead link)
- Tax Collector
- Public Records Search
- Salary findings for North Florida government agencies
- Clay County salaries
- Missing reference
- PBC Clerk & Comptroller 5.30.07