Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Oregon State Senate District 21|
|Profession||Business Owner, Liberty Maps|
Hutchison campaign website listed seven main issues:
- Fund Education First: "I will always vote to fully fund K-12 public education first, at the current per-student level, at the beginning of the legislative session and before any other programs. To ensure that parents, teachers and local administrators have more flexibility in designing the best schools, I support more educational options in Oregon and will oppose unfunded federal mandates imposed on our schools."
- A Sustainable Local Economy: "Zero-based budgeting and elimination of corporate tax breaks will help close the state’s projected budget gap and shift economic power away from profit-driven companies and toward stable businesses that earn customers by catering to their needs. If we also simplify the regulatory process and make tax filing easier, responsible small companies will have the confidence to hire more people and make long-term investments, stabilizing our local economy."
- Make Corporate Polluters Pay: "I support requiring industrial polluters to pay all cleanup costs and total loss of property value from spills, runoff and seepage, including challenging the federal government’s limits on liability and taxpayer funded compensation for damages. That will ensure that the most responsible industries will succeed while continuing Oregon’s proud tradition of environmental leadership."
- Bring the Guard Home: "The U.S. Constitution states that “the Congress shall have power….To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions”. The current deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan do not fit these descriptions."
- Health Care Reform and Freedom: "I support allowing individuals to deduct out-of-pocket health care costs from Oregon taxes, purchase health insurance in other states, and expand alternative medicine options like medical marijuana. Opposing federal encroachments, I will fight to ensure that individual freedom will prevail in our truly personal health choices."
- Legalize Hemp and Cannabis: "The 72 years of (attempted) government prohibition of this naturally occurring plant has clearly failed – guards can’t even keep pot out of the prisons. Instead, prohibition has contributed to the rise of well-armed drug gangs using deadly force to protect their lucrative trade, injecting unnecessary violence into our society. I have come to learn that cannabis has many medical and pain relief uses with fewer and milder side effects compared to legal artificial drugs, while not impairing a person any more than alcohol does. Likewise hemp has had many industrial uses over the centuries and may have many more in the future, which can benefit us all. Therefore, I support legalizing hemp and cannabis for adults, with as few regulations as necessary."
- Defending Our Civil Liberties: "Warrantless searches and wiretaps, spying on our emails, library records and bank accounts, and “indefinite detentions” continue to violate our rights because of the PATRIOT Act’s renewal this year. Also disturbing is the President’s claim of authority to kill a natural born US citizen without due process. I will oppose these unconstitutional intrusions in Oregon, defending everyone’s life, liberty and privacy."
- See also: Oregon State Senate elections, 2012
Hutchison ran for election in the 2012 election for Oregon Senate District 21. Hutchison was unopposed in the May 15 Republican primary was defeated by incumbent Diane Rosenbaum (D) in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Oregon State Senate, District 21, General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Diane Rosenbaum Incumbent||84.6%||55,734|
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "John + Verbeek + Oregon + Senate"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Official campaign website
- "Oregon Votes," State Voter Guide Profile
- Official campaign facebook page
- Official campaign youtube page
- Candidate meetup page
- Oregon May 18 primary election results
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Oregon Live Voter's Guide Profile
- Imagine Election Profile