Coeur d'Alene Public Schools, Idaho
|Coeur d'Alene Public Schools|
|Coeur d'Alene, Idaho|
|Number of schools:||20|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Chista Hazel|
About the districtIdaho in Kootenai County. The county seat of Kootenai County is Coeur d'Alene. Kootenai County is home to 144,265 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau.
Kootenai County underperformed compared to the rest of Idaho in terms of higher education achievement in 2013. The United States Census Bureau found that 23.3 percent of Kootenai County residents aged 25 years and older had attained a bachelor's degree compared to 25.1 percent for Idaho as a whole. The median household income in Kootenai County was $49,002 compared to $46,767 or the state of Idaho. The poverty rate in Kootenai County was 13.4 percent compared to 15.5 percent for the entire state.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin rather than a race. Citizens may report both their race and their place of origin, and as a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table may exceed 100 percent.
The superintendent of Coeur d'Alene Public Schools is Matthew Handelman. First coming to the district as associate superintendent in the summer of 2010, Handelman also served as elementary and curriculum director for the district before he was named interim superintendent in May 2013 and became permanent superintendent in November 2013. He earned his bachelor's degree in anthropology from Amherst College in 1988 and his principal certificate from the University of Washington in 1996.
Coeur d'Alene schools are overseen by a five-member board elected to four-year terms.
|Coeur d'Alene Board of Trustees|
|Member||Zone||Assumed Office||Term Ends|
|Chista Hazel||1||May 2013||2017|
|Tom Hamilton||2||May 2011||2015|
|Terri Seymour||3||May 2011||2015|
|Dave Eubanks||4||May 2013||2017|
|Tom Hearn||5||May 2013||2017|
School board elections
Members of the Coeur d'Alene Board of Trustees are elected to four-year terms. Elections are held every odd-numbered year. Two seats are up for election in 2015 and three seats are up for election in 2017.
Public participation in board meetings
The Coeur d'Alene Board of Trustees maintains the following policy on public testimony during board meetings:
|“||Public Participation in Board Meeting
Any complaint about the District, including instruction, discipline, district personnel policy, procedure or curriculum, should be referred through proper administrative channels before it is presented to the board for consideration and action. All complaints should be resolved through proper channels in the following order:
1. Teacher or Staff
Please also see District Policy regarding public complaints.
Public Comment—Inclusion on Board Agenda
Public Comment at Board Meetings
Written materials for Board Members must be submitted to the Clerk. The written material must include the name, address and telephone number of the person submitting it. A copy of the materials that meet these requirements will be forwarded to Board Members if received at least seven (7) days prior to the scheduled Board meeting. Materials should not be sent directly to Board Members. Materials may be presented or mailed to the Clerk at 1400 N. Northwood Center Ct., Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814.
If a topic is being considered by a committee established for that purpose, the Board may refer the public comment to that committee.
Because of the diversity of issues, members of the Board will not respond to public comment. Instead, issues may be recorded and referred to the proper staff person for follow-up. The Chair may interrupt or terminate an individual’s statement when it is too lengthy, personally directed, abusive, obscene, repetitive, or irrelevant. The Board of Trustees as a whole shall have the final decision in determining the appropriateness of all such rulings.
Nothing in this policy shall prohibit the removal of any person who willfully disrupts a meeting to the extent that orderly conduct is seriously compromised. Defamatory or abusive remarks are always out of order. The Chair may terminate the speaker’s privilege of address if, after being called to order, the speaker persists in improper conduct or remarks.
If a special meeting has been held to obtain public comment on a specific issue, the Chair of the Board may not recognize speakers wishing to comment on the same topic at a regular meeting of the Board.
—Coeur d'Alene Public Schools website, (2014)
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
- Idaho school districts
- List of school districts in Idaho
- Idaho school board elections, 2015
- School board elections portal
- Coeur d'Alene Public Schools
- Idaho Education Association
- Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
- Kootenai County, Idaho
- Idaho Department of Education
- Idaho School Boards Association
- National Center for Education Statistics, "Coeur D'alene District," accessed December 26, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Kootenai County, Idaho," accessed December 27, 2014
- Kootenai County, "Election Results," accessed December 27, 2014
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one- or two-tenths off from being exactly 100 percent. This Ballotpedia page provides a more detailed explanation of how the Census Bureau handles race and ethnicity in its surveys.
- CDAPress.com, "Handelman named permanent superintendent," November 4, 2013
- Spokesman-Review, "CdA school district chooses interim superintendent," May 11, 2013
- Coeur d'Alene Public Schools, "SD 271 Trustees," accessed December 28, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Coeur d'Alene Public Schools, "Board of Trustees Policies - 1520P Public Participation in Board Meeting," accessed December 28, 2014
- Coeur d'Alene Public Schools, "Annual School District Budget," accessed December 10, 2014
- Coeur d'Alene Public Schools, "Amended Budget 2013-2014," accessed December 10, 2014
- Coeur d'Alene Public Schools, "Annual Budget 2014-2015," accessed December 10, 2014