Collier County, Florida
Collier County's population was estimated at 318,537 as of 2009. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Collier County was growing at a rate of 26.7% since the 2000 Census, while Florida as a whole grew at a rate of 16%.
Evaluation of website
- Main article: Evaluation of Florida county websites
This website was most recently reviewed April 1, 2013.
- Elected Officials
- County commissioners are listed with contact information.
- Contact information for county administration is posted.
- Current budget is available.
- Budgets are archived to 2003.
- Most recent audit is posted.
- Audits are archived to 2000.
- Local tax information is available.
- Permits and Zoning
- Public Records
- The site does not disclose if belongs to government sector lobbying associations or if county officials use taxpayer money for private lobbying firms.
- Main article: Florida government sector lobbying
|Year||Amount spent on lobbying|
In late 2008 reporters organized by the Florida Society of Newspaper Editors requested the most recent budget emails from central Florida county officials in order to audit the responses.
In Collier County the Sheriff's office failed to comply with the requests for records received during the audit. Collier Sheriff Don Hunter denied failing the audit, saying "I have 20 years of experience." He demanded that the request for records be made in writing, which the law does not require, and tracked down the requestor's phone number to make multiple probes into why she was making the request. Hunter stated that he doesn’t consider calling members of the public intimidating, rather that "I consider that being a proper steward of public dollars."
Collier schools and the county government each passed the audit.
However, when a private citizen requested e-mails from Collier County Public Schools (CCPS) in spring 2009, the communication specialist, Ryan Schwartz, reported to the citizen that the e-mails were obtained by asking their senders and recipients to print them off themselves, giving these individuals the opportunity to supress improper communications. When pressed about the method used to obtain the e-mails, Schwartz expressed that it was not a good system and going directly to the server would be better.
The county has seen a large spike in unemployment due to the recession, losing 6 percent of its workforce in the first quarter of 2010, the highest in the nation.
- Official Collier County Website
- Collier County Appraiser
- Collier County Tax Collector
- Collier County on E-Reference
- Collier County School Board
- Collier County Emergency Management
- Collier County Sheriff's Office
- Collier County Economic Development Council
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Meeting Calendar
- Meetings Online
- Tax Collector
- Building Review
- Public Records Search
- Open Secrets
- Collier County - Open Secrets
- Collier sheriff fails secret public records audit, two other agencies pass, Naple Daily News, November 21, 2008
- PBC Clerk & Comptroller 5.30.07
- Watchdog, Nine-out-of-ten largest counties lost jobs in first quarter, Oct. 19, 2010