Colorado Immigration Status Check Measure (2010)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
The proposed law required that all employers use the federal government's E-Verify Program to verify the immigration status and employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
According to the proposal:
The state legislature shall follow the Arizona law as closely as allowed by the Colorado state constitution...The state legislature shall include provisions for penalties and fines, responsibilities for enforcement and audit, timetables for phase-in of the law over three years for companies with fewer than 50 employees, and prohibitions on the use of independent contractors to intentionally avoid compliance with the law.
Path to the ballot
- See also: Colorado signature requirements
In order to place the proposed measure on the ballot, supporters were required to collect a minimum of 76,047 valid signatures. The signature filing deadline for the 2010 ballot in Colorado for initiated state statutes was August 2, 2010. However, as of petition deadline day, no signatures were filed.
- Examiner,"Tancredo immigration ballot proposal first proposed by left," December 6, 2009
- Associated Press,"Tancredo files ballot measure to require immigration checks," December 4, 2009
- ↑ Associated Press,"Tancredo Seeking Ballot Measure On Immigration," December 4, 2009
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Denver Post,"Tancredo ballot measure would require employers to verify immigration status of all new hires," December 4, 2009
- ↑ Prior to the enactment of Colorado House Bill 1326 (2009), the signature deadline for initiated statutes and initiated amendments was the same--3 months before the election.
State of Colorado
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Executive Director of Natural Resources | Executive Director of Labor and Employment | Chair of Public Utilities |